Author Topic: CA's Chicken Bhoona  (Read 43268 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Bhoona
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Hi Paul/CA

Not trying to pour petrol on the flames here, but around these parts (Manchester) A Bhuna is almost the same as a Jal Frezi but without the fresh green chillies, and the sauce is much much drier. 

I would also dare to say that the Dupiaza is a very close cousin to both.  My understanding is this, and what it says on my local BIR menu:

Bhuna; A combination of a special blend of spices, onions, peppers and tomatoes fried and cooked to provide a dish of medium strength and rather dry in consistency, garnished with coriander.

Dupiaza;  A method of preparation similar to Bhuna where greater uses of fresh onions are mixed with spices, green peppers and fried briskly, garnished with fresh coriander.

Jal frezi;  Sauteed dish cooked with onion, garlic, ginger, green peppers, mushrooms and fresh green chillies, in a rich sauce, garnished with fresh coriander.

Now, I must admit, I've never ordered a Jal Frezi from this place and had mushrooms in the dish, and they quite often use red, green or yellow peppers but, I'm sure you can see, all three curries are closely related, well, at least they are around here.

Ray :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 05:31 PM »
They are all very similar in my experience, a Dupiaza the same as a Bhuna without the tomatoes and extra cumin, a Jal frezi is a Bhuna with less sauce and extra fresh chilli.  That might not be correct for every BIR in the country but I have had some dishes that I swear the only difference is how finely the onions are chopped.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34 PM »
They are all very similar in my experience......a Jal frezi is a Bhuna with less sauce and extra fresh chilli

I think you mean a jalfrezi is a bhuna with MORE sauce and extra fresh chilli CK (like my recipes, therefore?)?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Just so another view can be incorporated, here is a quote from Bruce Edwards in the Curry House Cookery Update re the Jalfrezi

It usually contains peppers, fried onion, chillies and coriander; in fact the only thing that distinguishes it from Bhoona is that it contains chillies. The version given here is quite hot, but it doesn't have to be, it is entirely up to you. Ingredients as for Bhoona with the addition of green chillies sliced lengthwise, and half to one teaspoon of chilli powder.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Even then it wouldn't suit him as this recipe is essentially a madras with peppers and onions. Great if you are trying to reproduce low end takeaway but otherwise rather bland (for a bhuna).

How the hell would YOU know if it it would suit him SS?  :-\

Have you actually tried it to say that it's "rather bland"?

Even so, how would you suggest you change it to make it less "bland"?  :-\

NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE LMAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS:  the truth is you've got to me from the word go....and, sadly, I'm sure I'm not alone in that  :-\

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 05:49 PM »
And who even mentioned "a standard madras" ffs?  :-\

I did.

Your bhuna is, after all, almost your standard madras with extra peppers and onions. You know, a formula curry.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I did.  Your bhuna is, after all, almost your standard madras with extra peppers and onions. You know, a formula curry.

I very much doubt you did. 

And it's almost a jalfrezi, with less chilli, fewer peppers, fewer onions and less curry base (please pay attention SS  ::))

And, yes, I know, a "formula curry".  You know, like BIRs make  ::)

Besides, please don't miss the point again, if it's not to your liking, post your own recipe (as if)!  ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55 PM »
...here is a quote from Bruce Edwards in the Curry House Cookery Update re the Jalfrezi

It usually contains peppers, fried onion, chillies and coriander; in fact the only thing that distinguishes it from Bhoona is that it contains chillies. The version given here is quite hot, but it doesn't have to be, it is entirely up to you. Ingredients as for Bhoona with the addition of green chillies sliced lengthwise, and half to one teaspoon of chilli powder.

Stephen if you wanted a description of formula curries you'd be hard pressed to find a better quote than that.

This type of curry represents the worst practices of BIRs which are very common now sadly.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 06:06 PM »
...here is a quote from Bruce Edwards in the Curry House Cookery Update re the Jalfrezi

not sure that formula equals bad curries - take the Ashoka chain for example - excellent curries but to a formula

Stephen if you wanted a description of formula curries you'd be hard pressed to find a better quote than that.

This type of curry represents the worst practices of BIRs which are very common now sadly.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 03:23 PM »
All I was saying CA is this is your Jalfrezi recipe without any chilli.
I have never had red pepper in any curry in the last 15 years that I have been eating them from any average good or great TA or restaurant.

Google a picture of a chicken Bhuna and see for yourself Mr DEFENSIVE!!!!!

©2024 Curry Recipes