Author Topic: CA's Chicken Bhoona  (Read 42916 times)

Offline kolanut

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Bhoona
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Have made this twice and it's turned out brilliant both times. Props. It's the only curry I've ever cooked too ;D

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 06:02 AM »
Hi CA

I made this last night using your recipe for the Bhoona, but with Abdul's base plus half tsp extra chilli powder and 1 tbsp of spice mix.  It was EXCELLENT - exactly as you describe it in your introduction - and I still have half left for tonight!!!!

As you recommended, I also used a wok.  But the one thing stands out for me versus some other recipes, is your insistence on using high heat.  Boy does this ever work!  Your quantities are such that there is little chance of anything becoming dry/overcooked/burnt(!!) and the speed at which the dish can be produced while still being beautifully cooked through is mighty impressive.  It reminded me of the open kitchen T/A I used about 20 years ago.  I'll definitely use the technique in future.......and I have copied your Madras and Jalfreizi recipes to give them a go, too.

Many thanks
al.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Hi alarmist CA's Jalfrezi is my favourite its just incredible, the taste the texture and heat are just perfect. You really should try it as soon as you can and if possible try using CA's base with the recipes as well you wont be disappointed.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35 PM »
CA
I'm going to give this recipe a try on friday for 4 people :o
What would your opinion be on quantity's to use, Double everything, or would that be to much?

HS

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 04:25 AM »
Hi kolanut and alarmist10,

Glad you liked it.  Thanks for trying it and reporting back  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 04:35 AM »
What would your opinion be on quantity's to use, Double everything, or would that be to much?

Hi HS,

Yes, I reckon a double quantity should adequately feed 4 people (especially if you intend to also provide other accompaniments)....unless they are total pigs, of course!  :P

With regard to preparing it, I would be inclined to cook two of them, unless you have a sufficiently big pan and an equally big heat source (i.e. somewhat larger, and more powerful, than a normal domestic hob).

Please let us know how you get on...... 8)

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53 AM »

Hi HS,

Yes, I reckon a double quantity should adequately feed 4 people (especially if you intend to also provide other accompaniments)....unless they are total pigs, of course!  :P

With regard to preparing it, I would be inclined to cook two of them, unless you have a sufficiently big pan and an equally big heat source (i.e. somewhat larger, and more powerful, than a normal domestic hob).

Please let us know how you get on...... 8)

Cheers CA
No jet burners in my kitchen, so 2 lots it is, and yes i will let you know how it goes, and another yes, they do eat like pig's, small portions are not on the menu here ;D Do you recon that i could put both lot's into a cooking pot and keep it hot in the oven without spoiling the curry?

HS

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 02:02 PM »
It's a bit of a tricky one HS.

I'm sure that, for curries that include "crunchy" onions, capsicums, chillies, etc (e.g. bhoona, jalfrezi), it is best to present them immediately after cooking (i.e. to preserve the "crunchiness" of those particular ingredients).

However, having said that, I frequently freeze these types of curries and I am perfectly happy with them subsequently (i.e. after defrosting and microwaving them...after which, those ingredients have lost most of, if not all of, their "crunch").

I suppose it is all down to how discerning your guests are?

But I agree that a happy medium is to put the first one in the oven, for as short a time as possible, whilst making the second one.  Then serve both immediately.

However, if they aren't particularly discerning, put them both (the curries, not your guests!  :o) in the oven to warm whilst your guests get inebriated!  :P  Thereafter, they will probably be far less discerning anyway!  :P

Not sure that helps much, but I hope so!  ???

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 02:35 PM »
It's a bit of a tricky one HS.

I'm sure that, for curries that include "crunchy" onions, capsicums, chillies, etc (e.g. bhoona, jalfrezi), it is best to present them immediately after cooking (i.e. to preserve the "crunchiness" of those particular ingredients).

However, having said that, I frequently freeze these types of curries and I am perfectly happy with them subsequently (i.e. after defrosting and microwaving them...after which, those ingredients have lost most of, if not all of, their "crunch").

I suppose it is all down to how discerning your guests are?

But I agree that a happy medium is to put the first one in the oven, for as short a time as possible, whilst making the second one.  Then serve both immediately.

However, if they aren't particularly discerning, put them both (the curries, not your guests!  :o) in the oven to warm whilst your guests get inebriated!  :P  Thereafter, they will probably be far less discerning anyway!  :P

Not sure that helps much, but I hope so!  ???

Actually CA it's a great help, Because i never thought about the veg going soft, So i think your suggestion of 1 in the oven while i do the other one sounds the bizz, It's only family but they know there Curry's, so yes maybe Lot's of booze, as I've never tried this one before, see what happens,
Cheers
HS

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48 AM »
Another option is to cook the curries, without the onions, capsicums and tomatoes, and keep these warm in the oven (or subsequently reheat them on the stove, in the oven, or in a microwave).

Then, when you're about ready to eat, cook the onions, capsicums and tomatoes (e.g. stir fry in a hot wok, or other suitable pan - perhaps with a little garlic, ginger, spice mix and tomato puree) and add them to the curries, just before serving.  "Tarka" like? :P

©2024 Curry Recipes