Author Topic: Base from Zaal Restaurant in Fleet  (Read 38944 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base from Zaal Restaurant in Fleet
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28 PM »
You're right there wasn't a lot of oil in it,although when it was cooked and simmering on the top I noticed the oil started to float to to surface.Note there were no corriander stalks in the gravy either.I asked Az about this and although he didn't say it's wrong he didn't use them in his base.It's interesting that Ifindforu recently mentioned the bagar technique of the gravy,this is exactly how Az did his.

However Az goes about it - for example, using less oil and no fresh coriander in the base - would you say his restaurant produces typical, decent BIR fare or would you say it's closer to 'top notch' cuisine, as served by the best BIRs around? Or perhaps it's difficult for any of Sunday's visitor's to say, if you were eating mostly dishes you'd cooked, rather than food which the restaurant's chefs had cooked.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:14 PM »
You're right there wasn't a lot of oil in it,although when it was cooked and simmering on the top I noticed the oil started to float to to surface.Note there were no corriander stalks in the gravy either.I asked Az about this and although he didn't say it's wrong he didn't use them in his base.It's interesting that Ifindforu recently mentioned the bagar technique of the gravy,this is exactly how Az did his.

However Az goes about it - for example, using less oil and no fresh coriander in the base - would you say his restaurant produces typical, decent BIR fare or would you say it's closer to 'top notch' cuisine, as served by the best BIRs around? Or perhaps it's difficult for any of Sunday's visitor's to say, if you were eating mostly dishes you'd cooked, rather than food which the restaurant's chefs had cooked.
Such positivity as always.  George, your top notch isn't the same as mine,.  I don't rate supermarket stuff full stop ;D. My top notch will be different from the next person.  Get my point? It's called subjectivity.  Bottom line we all cooked dishes that we all thought were as good as what we're used to from our own local BIR's and TA's.  Nobody will be more critical than us lot of the end results.  To do that, in itself is an achievement, although it may not quite reach your high standards.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37 AM »
Such positivity as always.  George, your top notch isn't the same as mine

Thank you for your reply. It's the tone, and dodgy nature of your response which has helped answer my question, rather than anything specific which you've said.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06 AM »
Such positivity as always.  George, your top notch isn't the same as mine

Thank you for your reply. It's the tone, and dodgy nature of your response which has helped answer my question, rather than anything specific which you've said.
Maybe you should read your posts several times before pushing the "post" button George and assess your own "tone" and the "dodgy nature" of some of your responses.  It's a very good practice to get into.  Think what you want to George.  You normally do.  And your opinion is so highly valued.  It's so great to have such a positive light as yourself contributing to the forum.
Maybe you should go along and try the food as Zaal's.  Then again, it probably doesn't measure up to the top notch stuff like Morrisons chicken saag, does it??
Enough said I think.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00 AM »
JB,

You might want to take a look at your initial post mate. When clicking on ingredients it takes you to a game about dressing up princessess!!! ;D

Not sure what you get up to at weekends mate, but at weekends do they call you Mandy?  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15 AM »
JB,

You might want to take a look at your initial post mate. When clicking on ingredients it takes you to a game about dressing up princessess!!! ;D

Not sure what you get up to at weekends mate, but at weekends do they call you Mandy?  ::) ;D ;D ;D
I only wish i could find this SP :o.  By the time i get there jb will have corrected it :(

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40 AM »
JB,

I can't find this,do you mean my initial post in this thread??

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:33 PM »
hi this is very similar to my Mouchak base recipe :o cook veg 1st then add a tarka and spiced water! shame no has tried it until now :( well almost

regards
gary

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49 AM »
four chef spoons blended tomatoes

Cheers JB,
Blended fresh toms or tin toms?
ill be getting on this one tonight

Spiced water mmm.. haven't heard that name in years