Author Topic: UCB Chicken Bhuna  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
UCB Chicken Bhuna
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Yet another one from this stable of genuine BIR recipes.

You will need the following fro two portions

Fresh or precooked large Chicken breasts cut in to 2 inch pieces (precooked is quicker).
Marinate Chicken in a 50/50 tomato paste/water mix
Two or more coarsely chopped green Chillis. (to your taste)
One medium onion sliced approx 5mm, discard the small bits from the centre cos they burn
About 1/2 cup of UCB - remember this is a dry fried dish
One or two medium very ripe tomatoes cut in quarters.
Half cup Groundnut oil or Ghee
Salt & black pepper to taste

Heat oil in Kharai/Wok/Pan until smoking and add the Chicken and then the UCB to fuse it about 1-2 min
Lower heat and add onions and Chilli(s)
Stir-fry until onions soften
Season to taste.
Add Tomatoes, and fry until they are hot
Serve with garnish of Coriander leaf and a slice of lemon (if liked)

I suggest you keep the UCB to a minimum as this dish should not have a lot of sauce.

I like to add a pinch of dried methi leaves when I add the onions.  You do not need to precook the Onions, but make sure you don't have any small bits of onion in there!

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UCB Chicken Bhuna
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Hi CP,

Thanks for the post CP.....but, in this ("genuine BIR") recipe,....

....apart from what there is in 1/2 "cup" of curry base, there is no additional:

• garlic?
  • ginger?
  • spices?
  • curry powder?
  • etc?

Is this right?  If so, presumably, your curry base is very flavoursome in its own right?....whereas I seem to recall you saying that is was actually quite bland....until mixed with other spices?

And why "groundnut" oil rather than vegetable oil?  Don't BIRs use vegetable oil?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:20 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Nope, that is exactly what Mark gave me, and he cooks it all the time at home too for his family.  Mark's UCB is, to use Darth's phraseology, a bit on the DarkSide; it is bland to taste cold but just bursts with flavour when you fuse it; it does need help with the more robust dishes.  Bhuna is a plain dish so needs little in the way of spices.  I have tried it and I think it is fine as does my wife (my co-cook in the biz) and she is a Bhuna fanatic.  Well like we all say here try it and mess around with it; everthing can be improved.

Groundnut Oil:  Sorry that was my mistake (I use it for home dishes), any good quality vegetable oil with a high temp rating, or Ghee will do.  I use KTC or Wesson green for the biz cooking.

Happy Cooking
CP

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I use KTC or Wesson green for the biz cooking.

CP

You really seem to know what you're talking about. Just in case I'm in your area (IOW?), what is the name and location of your restaurant please?

Regards
George

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Hi George.  We don't run a restaurant (yet); we have run a small catering business for about 4 years that supplies to the trade and private customers. Both ring up to place an order and they have the option to purchase it chilled (advance orders only) or frozen.  This is why I refer to batch cooking in some of my posts.  We cook batches of around 30 - 40 portions of each popular main dish, so a run could gross over a 100 portions in 3 days; base to finish.  On top of that we will also prepare vegetarian curries for advanced orders.  You are more than welcome to have some; if you email me I will give you a contact number.

Cheers
CP

©2024 Curry Recipes