Author Topic: CH's Chicken Phall  (Read 45807 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CH's Chicken Phall
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Thanks again CH. this will definitely be made again...

Glad it worked for you Mr M.  I often make the sauce and add the meat later on before reheating the dish.  I very rarely use uncooked chicken as i'm so used to having it in the freezer pre-cooked.  That comes out along with the curry gravy and tomato paste. The advantage of this vs the time it takes to cook, minimal i know, but it's just what i'm used to.
Nice touch on the meethi leaves. Doh... i could have done that last night, since i didn't have any fresh corriander, couldn't i?? :-\.  Ok on the lemon as a glug often goes in to many a phall.
Did it pass the important test though?  Is it a match for your north of the border phalls and not a wishy washy namby pamby southerner's phall ;D?
Look forward to the pics mate.  Thanks for giving it a go and the in detail report ;)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Hi CH
Thanks for posting :)
Looks like a good tongue tickler and an authentic Ayurveda cure for stomach ulcers. ;D
If eaten regulary it minimalises chance of flu, colds and stomach bugs.  Sure as hell nothing is going to want to be in the vacinity of this volcano lava :D

You know when you have achieved an Asian palate when you can
crunch on fresh green finger chillis. like they were carrots.
Very true CT.  However, a naga or scotch bonnet soon brings me to my knees though >:(

Yes, Singe-Fry is my new Gora cooking term for burning spices in your 'Beginning' Tarka.

An apt term of phrase mate.  It's a case of how close can you get to cooking the rawness out of the spice but not actually burning it.  There is a thin line and it takes only seconds to cross it :o

p.s. I can see a nice garnish of fresh ginger Julienned and a drizzle of Mr.Naga oil on this one. ;)

There'll be no ginger, julienned or otherwise going anywhere near a curry i cook.  I tolerate it only because i can't taste it ;D.  Now  a drizzle of naga oil is a different story ;D ;D

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41 PM »
CH...never had a Phall before so there aint anything for me to go by as a comparison unfortunately.
I like a Vindaloo tho and this (to me) is very close to one which I used to regularly get from local T/A.
Nice and hot the way I like it. Not just a rekktum rekker tho..there's a fair bit of taste going on too :)
Just had my neighbour in and he sampled the sauce and went..."wow"..then he kinda went purple/red ...hehehehe...i stupidly omitted to tell him it was a hot curry and he dived right in taking a massive spoonful...hehehehehe

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 09:55 PM »
finally found a recipe that tastes better than most efforts from my local T/A
Curryhell...yer a star  :-*
hope my pics do your outstanding recipe some much deserved justice
As stated previously, I didn't add pre-cooked chicken as I prefer to add raw chicken to sauce and let chicken marinade for a couple of hours. IMO chicken picks up more taste and also takes lots of colour from the sauce which permeates the chicken
note how red the chicken looks in pics.
this isn't a coating of sauce, it's similar to a thin "crust" much like chicken tikka
PS-sorry about the rather wilted looking coriander on top...been sitting for 5 mins before I found the picture taking apparatus

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43 AM »
finally found a recipe that tastes better than most efforts from my local T/A
Curryhell...yer a star  :-*
Don't know about that Mr M.  My title is "spice god" -  if only :o ;D
Glad you enjoyed it and can produce another dish you are happy with.
hope my pics do your outstanding recipe some much deserved justice
As stated previously, I didn't add pre-cooked chicken as I prefer to add raw chicken to sauce and let chicken marinade for a couple of hours. IMO chicken picks up more taste and also takes lots of colour from the sauce which permeates the chicken
note how red the chicken looks in pics.
this isn't a coating of sauce, it's similar to a thin "crust" much like chicken tikka
I think the pics more than do it justice.  For a moment i thought you were using chicken tikka  :o:D

PS-sorry about the rather wilted looking coriander on top...been sitting for 5 mins before I found the picture taking apparatus
[/quote]
Forgiven.  ;) I'm sure it was soon pushed out of the way one you started to tuck in :P
I like the accompaniment in picture 2.  This should be part of the tarka for all recipes 8) 8)

I made it again tonight. Left out the chilli flakes and replaced with chilli powder and used chicken tikka instead.  Will report back later as i was a little bit kettled when i got home to eat it >:(

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27 PM »
As promised a report back on the suggested variation of changing crushed chilli for plain MDH degghi mirch.  I'll let the pics do the talking.  I only added 1 rounded tbsp of powder with the  second ladel of base and i garnished with corriander instead of birdseye chillies.  A nice hot smooth sauce, full on flavour and heat but not explosive heat like the chilli flakes.  The corriander also added that little something, as it always does.  Worth a go Mr M.

The curry

The bonus of the evening ;D ;D

Supper, which incidentally didn't last very long  ;)

I will post the recipe for the brinjal bahji after i next make it.  By pure chance i spoke with Abdul and he told me how to cook it.  "It's quite simple" he said and it was.  But even then i managed to get something wrong.  However, it tasted as good as many i have eaten in restaurants, certainly better than some and with a bit more practice, hopefully it will be as good as the best.  I do so love this dish.  It had the smell and that familiar taste had infused into the brinjal :o :P 8)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Having posted a few pics CH's asked if i would comment in the thread section to give people a chance to check out the recipe that wouldn't normally so here goes. This  is a great dish i was worried at first that it would be to hot for me i have never had a phall before so i couldn't compare the flavour to a bir dish but the fflavours arfe great it's not just a mouthfull of heat as you might expect if anyone has tried the north indian special for me this is just as good maybe even better so if you like a curry with heat give it a go definetly worth a try.

here is the chicken tikka phall cooked the night before i planned to eat it i always cook my curries that have a lot of chilli in the night before so that my nostrills are not full of chilli i find you can appretiate the flavour better.

and heres it is for dinner last night

Jamie

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Thanks for posting in the recipe thread.  I find it's always helps to have feedback from members who have tried the dish.
I could eat that lot right now Jamie :P.  You have certainly done my recipe justice with those pics.  I think the warning lights are the intense red  colour of that oil  :o :o ::).  Lovely stuff  :P. You've now got me thinking on what i'm going to cook for supper tonight :-\  SL's Punjabi Masala is on the radar for sure :)
One day i'll get round to writing up the phall recipe that was put together especially to satisfy my craving for intense heat - oh so long ago.  I'll include the amusing little story that goes with it ;D

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:37 AM »
No problem ch the least I could do looking at the pics I could knock another one up right now but im off out for one tonight lads night out off to the dogs then a curry happy days ;D

Jamie

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 11:58 AM »
I have to admit that all looks really lovely, but I fear way too hot for my palate.

But!! it has got me in the mood for cooking Indian tonight at home. I've got some pre cooked lamb out, 2 chicken breasts, 2 portions of base sauce.

I'm thinking Lamb Bhuna, but hot, I know my kids will want Kashmiri Chicken Masala, Mushroom Bhaji, Aloo Gobi, and I've bought these lovely looking "Euro Bakery" Garlic Tafoon Naan breads from Aldi. Roll on 6pm!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes