Author Topic: Stew's Madras - Restaurant Style  (Read 8613 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Stew's Madras - Restaurant Style
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:46 PM »
MADRAS

Ingredients
  • Pre Cooked Chicken or Prawns etc
  • 2.5 Ladles Curry Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Chefs Spice Mix - SEE FAQ's
  • 1 or 2 teaspoons of Chili Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Pataks Balti Paste
  • 3 Tablespoons Veg Oil
  • Pinch Dried Fenugreek
  • Chopped Coriander Leaf and Stalks (important the stalks)

Method

• Heat Oil over highest flame
  • Add 1 Tablespoon of curry sauce
  • Add Spice Mix
  • Add Chili Powder
  • Stir and shake for 30 seconds
  • Add a little more curry sauce
  • Add pre cooked chicken or prawns
  • cook for 1 min or so
  • Add curry sauce (2.5 ladles)
  • Add Balit Paste
  • Add fenugreek
  • cook over high heat for 6 minutes
  • Add coriander
  • Leave to cool a couple of mins, serve

You can use this curry sauce http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.0

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Stew's Madras - Restaurant Style
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Having a go at this one tonight :) I'll be using blades chicken tikka (as always lol)

I'll post up results later :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 04:23 PM »
I've just made this recipe (we'll be eating it tonight though) and I have to say it tastes great! It works really well with the base but I'd warn anyone who's not really that much of a heat buff to stick to one tsp of chilli (if you've added the chilli in the base recipe) 'cos I had a taste and I can't feel me lips half an hour later :-X

I don't think it would work as well with milder, less flavoursome bases though unless you had a bit of a fiddle with the recipe lol

The balti paste adds a little extra something, which I wasn't really expecting from just one tsp

I'll give it a go with the saffron base without altering the recipe and let you know how I get on ;)

Thanks for the recipe Boss :)

Offline kz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:54 PM »
what do you mean by curry sauce?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:18 PM »
what do you mean by curry sauce?

Hi Kz and welcome....

"What is base sauce\gravy
The base sauce\gravy is one of the main components of the restaurant curry.? Every restaurant will have a big pot of this on the go all the time, it enables the chef to create any curry within a few minutes of it being ordered.? There is no 100% correct? base sauce recipe, every restaurants will be slightly different so the best thing to do would be try one of the basic ones and go from there"

Here is the index of base sauce recipes available on this forum:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=422.0

Also have a read thru the Trainee Chefs / Beginners Questions

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=31.0

Offline SS

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:04 AM »
This one sounds amazing! Thanks  :)

I have some ingredients at home but there are a few I will have to get in. If I manage to get them later today then I will defo try it tonight.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:35 AM »
This is quite spooky, that is pretty much the same as the way I make my madras:-

-3tbs oil
-3 or 4 breasts of chicken (skinless)
-4 LEVEL tps Bruce Edwards' spice mix (20ml);- use less (1 lev tbs, 15ml) if you wish
-1 or 2 lev tps chilie (I use rajah, they're all slighty different, heat wise)
-1/4 lev tps of GROUND dried methi leaf
-1 lev tps brown sugar ( I actually use '50/50 mix ie 1/2 tps each of demerara & white)
-1/2 tps salt (more if none in your base)
-1 green chilie (the large mildish type, about the size of a finger)
-3 or 4 dried curry leaves (optional, not really needed)
-3 tbs of the juice form a tin of tomartos (or same quantity the blitzed contents of a the tin), do NOT use puree, even white tower, too sweet.
-1/4 of lev tps (and NO more)Worchester sauce.
-450 mls of any thinish base
-a good tbs chopped corriander leaf (with the fineer stalks)

Heat oil in  a heavy based frying pan, chuck in finely chopped chilie and curry leaves, wait 'till frying well and the smaller bits of chillie starting to brown.

Add one ladle of the base and then (immediately) your spice mix, chillie powder, salt, suger and ground dried methi leaf, KEEP stiring and fry for 30 seconds (minute max) 'till you get "toffee" smell, add another ladle of base cook two mins till oild starts to rise, ass (raw!) chicken, cut into smallish pieces.  Cook and stir a couple of mins.

Add remainder of base plus 3 tbs tinned tomarto juice and 1/4 tps worchester sauce.

Cook 10 mins or so on a fairly high heat ( I actually do the whole process on max heat on a big gas ring), 'till sauce thickens to correct BIR consistancy.

Add chopped corry.

NOTE: Even though the chickenwas added raw the 10 to 15 mins the whole process takes ensures the fairly small pieces of chicken are completely cooked through, cut a relatively big bit in half to check.

Serve with pilau rice and chipattis!

REALLY good, last had it night before last!

Sometimes at the initial frying stage I also add a small dried chillie, and at the end of the cooking make sure it's on top of the curry as a garnish, along with some uncooked plucked corriander leaf just scattered on top!

NOTE the tomarto juice adds sourness and gives a more BIR ish flavour in my opinion than lemon juice or vinager.  The small quantity of Worchester adds a tamarind note, but with a more rounded flavour, this is REAL BIR trick, I've seen it done in a demo.

Enjoy!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Sorry forgot to say that it is possible to get away with not using pre-cooked chicken because it cooks fast enough, obvioulsy a BIR would use cooked becuase they want to cook your meal in less than 5 mins, not 10 to 15!

Obvioulsy it would not be possible to use raw lamb in this way, it would have to be pre-cooked!

Offline joe36

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 12:32 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but where is the info on the Chefs spice mix. I can't see a FAQ.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:37 AM »

©2024 Curry Recipes