Author Topic: UB's Chicken Madras  (Read 15806 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UB'S CHICKEN MADRAS
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 07:20 PM »
i use the block coconut for everything. apologies if i gave u impression i used in the korma. i've never found the coconut powder any good.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Here it is, UB's chicken Madras using UB's base gravy and UB's base Chicken.

As I mentioned in the base thread, I like the smell, taste and texture of the base, so I was already off to a good start. Having tried the pre cooked chicken method before, I knew that would be successful. It was all down to the Madras recipe.. and the result... good. Typical BIR style with all the boxes ticked. The result certainly resembles the kind of Madras that I would expect from your average take away probably more than any other than I've cooked, and I suppose that's the point really.

However, to be honest, I'm a little disappointed. Although this recipe yielded a good Madras, it wasn't incredible. My flatmate and I agreed that it was a simple tasty Madras and awarded it a 7/10. I have made better though. I would bet money that using the base and pre cooked chiken method with the Rajver Madras would yield a superior result. I think the cooking processes in the Madras recipe let this combination down.

Adding the base to a tbsp of oil on medium heat with the tomato paste, garlic, chili, spice mix etc just doesn't wash. You need more oil, hot as hell, in with the garlic, fry for 30 seconds, add tomato paste and spices, fry for 30 seconds, then ease the base in at seering hot temperatures and evaporate it off. It gives such a superior flavour. I also think there is too much spice mix added. I would be looking at using half that.

So overall, I'm glad I have made this combination and have learned a lot. The tea caddy spice method works like a dream (I now use it for the rice too). The pre cooked chicken method is far better than the Darth method (simmer until cooked), yielding subtly flavoured tender chunks of chicken. The end result screamed reasonable BIR takeaway but didn't quite hit the spot as well as some others I've made in the past. In my opinion, this is purely down to the Madras recipe and could be improved upon easily. I am going to use a different Madras recipe and believe that this could push the combination up from a 7/10.

Thanks very much for all the recipes UB :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33 PM »
As always BB a great and informative post  :) Thanks for the feedback i appreciate the effort! thats what makes this forum better IMO. kind regards UB.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38 PM »
i too am with the Rajver madras cooking school appreciation fan club. eloquently described by Bobby. I would say it?s given me the 2nd biggest step difference in taste (spice being no 1 and base no 3)

UB, i'm interested in whether you've tried this technique and or whether u experimented  before arriving at the medium heat cooking.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 06:45 AM »
I sort of agree with Bobby, but here's my issue... hope there's a simple answer. When I go "hot" on the oil, and I add the garlic, it goes brown and burnt almost immediately. Medium heat is about all it can take.

Input appreciated!

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I sort of agree with Bobby, but here's my issue... hope there's a simple answer. When I go "hot" on the oil, and I add the garlic, it goes brown and burnt almost immediately. Medium heat is about all it can take.

Input appreciated!

-- Josh

Hi Josh, I assume that you're using fresh garlic for the Madras in this case, otherwise have far better cooking equipment than me. I use quite a lot of oil, enough to cover the base of my curry pan entirely, and use garlic paste, which doesn't seem to turn brown very easily. Also I tend to use a little onion, say 1/2 of a small one for the Madras, I add this first for 30 seconds, then the garlic paste. The garlic paste mixes around with the softened onion and seems to cook more slowly.

Try making sure you have plenty oil in the pan, and that you're using a jar of that really sloppy garlic paste you get from the local INdian store - that works for me... Usually... (see next post)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 10:33 AM »
So, I said I thought I could improve this recipe using some slightly different cooking methods.

Here's the method:

Cover base of pan with oil and heat until almost smoking
Add 1/2 small onion, stirring and shaking for 30 seconds
Add 1 generous tsp of that sloppy type garlic paste, still stirring and shaking for another 30 seconds
Take the pan off the heat and add 1 tsp tomato puree from the tube, 1 tsp spice mix, 1/2 tsp chili powder (I have the TRS extra hot stuff) and great big pinch of crubmled Methi (I also added a 1/2 tsp of Garam Masala, just because I love it, before realising that this is probably the worst possible stage at which to add it).
Put pan back on heat and stir like hell for about 30 seconds (smell that toffee)
Add a good splash of base which will go mad when it hits the pan. Evaporate the water out of it and repeat for about 2/3s of the base you're using.
Add the rest of the base, which should give you the right consistency, add your coriander then serve.

I am very upset to report I somehow managed to completely balls this up :( As soon as that first splash of base went it, I thought S**T, that's the wrong colour! I think the moral of the story is that Garam Masala burns! Stabbed in the back by a cheeky 1/2 tsp of my beloved aromatic spice blend! This curry was probably the worst I've ever had, and I felt pretty sick after eating it. Result - 1/10. I give it 1 because it made my beer so much more pleasant  8)

Here it is: BB's Burnt Madras

I actually feel sick again looking at it.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Thanks Bobby. A bit of onion and a wet paste might do the trick. I'll try this.

Sorry to hear about (and see!) the Madras!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Aren't we all! What a schoolboy error! I got too cocky with the heat! It really does look disgusting! :P

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Aren't we all! What a schoolboy error! I got too cocky with the heat! It really does look disgusting! :P

Hi BB, yeah thats not looking right mate Ive resized the two for comparison. If i was served that ill be sending it back!. your honesty is second to none.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes