Author Topic: One Pot Madras  (Read 2111 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
One Pot Madras
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:21 PM »
hello all, been away a fair bit last few weeks with work so aint been here. So today i thought it was time to make another batch of base. This got me thinking that as all the base will be used for a madras then why not just create a easy one pot madras, i have not read much on here about trying this though there are recipies without using a base. however i noticed pretty much the same spices were used in the madras as the base ie CA's base recipe and madras.

So the idea was just to combine the spices for both in the one pot and make the curry, then all i need to do is fry a little garlic/ginger purree and add some pre-cooked chicken each time i fancied a madras. it also got me thinking perhaps the sole reason this is not done in a bir is because they want to create diffrent curries from the same base. as i just wish to make the same from this base i saw no reason not to just do this.

Also i wished to reduce the oil in the finished curry, being just a very healthy spiced veg soup the only bad thing in it for health and calories is the quantities of oil, so i thing doing it this way may help to reduce the calories.

the recipe i used is as follows

1/5th cup of oil
1.5 kg of cheap brown supermarket onions
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
2 medium carrots
7 heaped tsp of ca's spice mix
10 heaped tsp of kashmiri mirch chilli powder
0.5 tsp fenugreek powder
1 garlic bulb
1.5 heaped tsp ground ginger
2 heaped tsp ground coriander
4 empty tomato cans full of water
1 heaped tsp cummin seeds
1 small bunch of coriander stalks
1 tsp salt

chop the onions roughly into about 8/10 pieces, add oil and onions to pot and cook on low heat for 20 mins till softened and browning

Add every thing else to the pot, cook for 40 mins on medium heat then blend the lot, i used a hand blender.

cook further 30 mins and your done.

I have taking some pics of what i did, though they show very little of intrest i can post if requested. The final dish was quite red and on the high side of madras heat so of course add the chilli to taste. i think there is enough for 12 decent sized curries from the finished article. The curry does seem to be lacking some oil, but this is my personal prefrence, this can just be made up at the cooking stage as desired anyway.

regards.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:47 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes