Author Topic: Ultimate Vindaloo  (Read 36610 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Vindaloo
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I do just the same, but then freeze them in an ice cube tray.

Last forever

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Secret Santa,

appreciate the info on your method. how do you feel on ginger. add more or less than madras - i feel its more but can't really decide other than i don't feel it's less (i've stopped adding ginger to madras).

littlechilie

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Hi all along the line of freezing chillies I make a paste of coriander,green chillies, lime and salt which I then freeze in cubes for my currys requiring extreme heat and flavor  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00 PM »
how do you feel on ginger. add more or less than madras - i feel its more but can't really decide other than i don't feel it's less (i've stopped adding ginger to madras).

I've never really bothered too  much about the quantity of ginger either way. I always have a 50/50 GG paste and a separate pure garlic paste at hand. I use the same amount of the gg paste in madras and vindaloo but extra garlic paste in the vindaloo.

For me it's the extra garlic in the vindaloo that's important (along with the other tweaks) but I'll be interested to hear what you come up with regarding the quantity of ginger that suits you.

littlechilie

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Evening all don't know if this helps anyone but I buy TAJ crushed g+g blocks, they are in portion sizes and 1.50 a bag :).
A portion is a little over a large heaped tsp it looks more frozen IMO perfect amount for any Madras or Vindaloo ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Secret Santa,

many thanks. ginger is something i'd been on guard so to speak since the smell of KD1. never added to base and only used at dish fry as g/g paste which i stopped using some time ago in favour of garlic only.

the curry2go mogal made me change my ways (started to keep ginger paste too). also picked it out at the local restaurant (they got it wrong one week) and now using in the basic base.

it's one area i feel i can improve on - hence the question.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 07:56 PM »
JerryM, Im not sure on the ginger amounts/usage ,I feel I have gone full circle on the use of it in a base sauce. Gone from 50/50 to 60/40 in favour of garlic to 30/70 in favour of ginger, which actually created the most bir smelling base I have made after a slow long onion stage cook.
 As for the final dish I am currently at the stage after tonights curry that less is definitely more on the ginger front (if any at all) for madras or vindaloo anyway. Maybe the base needs a higher ginger ratio and the final curry no ginger at all. Just thinking aloud.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50 AM »
madrasandy,

looks like you've been having similar turmoil as myself. i've tried these variants and homing on same thoughts. must admit in fact what iffu said 3:1 garlic:ginger at dish frying and 2:1 ginger:garlic in base

ps got the finger chilli and hoping for base as weather cools

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 11:32 AM »
JerryM
Im  glad someone else is on the same thought pattern. the base 2:1 ginger and the final dish 3:1 garlic certainly does sound worth a try.

Love them finger chillies, I buy loads ,the ones I am not using fresh I blend with a little water and freeze in ice cube trays.

Are you making the jb base? I am going to give it a try early this week.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Madrasandy,

No not making the jb base (or any new base). I'm happy and no gap or %.

Not to say I can't improve but it's more about understanding the evevelope and seeing if it can be pushed.

The only 2 areas I have real interest is oil and mix powder. I buy mix from Iffu and parked it for now.

The basic base is aimed at the oil. Hence my interest in Haldi's old oil. I've never got my oil as good as sample TA base. Tried many things but no progress.

I'd like to crack a few more mains but ok to wait h4ppy-chris book.

I do like the zaal garlic. Probably my greatest moment. It bodes well for the base. I'm just fine putting it in specific dishes.

©2024 Curry Recipes