Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)  (Read 47348 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:55 AM »
Background:

This is my recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala.  This is my own recipe that I've developed throughout the years.  Try it!  I think you're gonna like it!  It is very rich and really not for the health conscious!

I have divided the ingredients into those that I consider essential and those that I consider optional.  However, I use all of the ingredients specified and I recommend that you do so too (certainly on the first occasion, then subsequently adjust it to your liking).

You can substitute any other meat or seafood for the chicken to make a Meat or Seafood Tikka Masala.

I have included some photographs.  More can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1182.0

Serves 4

Ingredients:

Essential:

• About 1kg pre-cooked (slightly undercooked) Chicken Tikka (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0) - Photo 1
  • 100ml vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp fresh pureed garlic (or bottled, if you prefer)
  • 1 tsp fresh pureed ginger (or bottled, if you prefer)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (double concentrated)
  • 2 tbsp tandoori masala (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1514.0)
  • 1 tbsp curry powder (any decent one will do)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 500ml curry base (any decent, but very mildly spiced one, will do)
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or bottled, if you prefer)
  • 150ml fresh double cream
  • 2 tbsp almond powder
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk powder
  • Fresh milk (as required)

Optional:

• 1 tbsp garam masala (any decent one will do)
  • 1 tsp tumeric powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (rubbed between fingers)
  • 4 tbsp tomato ketchup (any decent one will do)
  • 2 tbsp fine desiccated coconut
  • 2 tbsp evaporated milk
  • 2 tbsp condensed milk
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 100g sliced creamed coconut block
  • 2 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
  • 1/4 tsp red food colouring

Method:

1.   Mix the tandoori masala, curry powder and salt (and garam masala, tumeric, coriander, cumin and dried fenugreek leaves, if using) with sufficient water to make a stiff paste

2.   Mix the fresh cream, almond powder and coconut milk powder (and tomato sauce, desiccated coconut, evaporated milk, condensed milk and sugar, if using) with sufficient milk to make a pourable paste (but not too runny!)

3.   Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok until hot (i.e. high heat)

4.   Add the pureed garlic and ginger and stir fry, for one to two minutes, stirring continuously, until golden brown (be careful, not to burn it!)

5.   Add the tomato paste and continue to fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously

6.   Add the spice paste, from Step 1 above, and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring continuously

7.   Add the curry base, a ladle (i.e. of 142ml capacity) at a time, stirring between additions - Photo 2

8.   Once all the curry base has been added, add the pre-cooked chicken tikka and lemon juice and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently - Photo 3

9.   Turn the heat down to medium

10.  Add the cream, almond, coconut and milk mix (and optional ingredients, if using) from Step 2 above

11.  Add the sliced creamed coconut block (if using)

12.  Add the chopped fresh coriander (if using)

13.  Adjust the colour by adding the red food colouring (if required)

14.  Adjust the consistency (if required) by adding:

a.   more milk, cream or evaporated milk for a thinner consistency
b.   more almond powder of coconut milk powder for a thicker consistency

15.  Simmer for a few minutes until the creamed coconut block has dissolved and dish is hot throughout - Photos 4, 5 & 6

Notes: 

1.  Unless stated otherwise, the following measures apply:

a)  "tsp" = 1 level 5ml teaspoon
b)  "tbsp" = 1 level 15ml tablespoon

2.  The recipe will work equally well for lamb, beef or seafood.  However, cooking times may vary

3.  The recipe will work equally well for meats on the bone (i.e. "tandoori style").  However, cooking times may vary

4.  Uncooked chicken can be used instead of the pre-cooked chicken tikka.  Simply add the uncooked chicken, together with the spice mix, in Step 6 above, and stir fry with the spices, until white all over.  Check that the chicken is cooked properly (i.e. that it is white throughout, with no sign of blood) before serving

5.  Bottled pureed garlic and ginger pastes can be used instead of fresh, if desired, though fresh is best

6.  Bottled lemon (or lime) juice can be used instead of fresh, if desired, though fresh is best

7.  Add a little chilli powder to the spice mix, or chopped fresh chillies, for additional heat and bite, if desired

Copyright Cory Ander 2007
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 03:34 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:55 AM »
photos (clockwise from top left):

Photo 1:  Pre-cooked Chicken Tikka (cooked on the barbecue)
Photo 2:  Cooking the spices and curry base
Photo 3:  Adding the pre-cooked Chicken Tikka
Photo 4:  Chicken Tikka Masala (ready to eat)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:02 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 03:55 AM »
photos:

Photo 5:  Chicken Tikka Masala (ready to eat)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 04:20 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 03:56 AM »
photos:

Photo 6:  Chicken Tikka Masala, Pilau Rice & Plain Naan Bread

Recipe for Pilau Rice here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1383.0

Recipe for Naan Bread here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1448.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 04:17 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:14 AM »

• 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or bottled, if you prefer)

I haven't tried your particular recipe CA, but lemon juice in a tikka masala!? The ones I've had in restaurants are universally mild, sweet and coconutty and not a hint of lemon juice. To me this goes against the whole ethos of the CTM. Is this a local thing?

YF

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Hi YF,

Yes, you could call it a very localised thing YF; I do it at home!  :P  ;)

I'm not sure why you find it so unusual?  I find that it brings out the flavour of the Chicken Tikka and adds a slight tartiness (to the taste and aroma) to what otherwise is a mild, sweet, creamy, coconutty and almondy dish.

Also, decent tikka mariandes invariably have lemon juice in them.

Also, many tikka or tikka masala pastes (e.g. Pataks) invariably have citric acid and/or lemon juice  (besides other "tarty" acids and additives) in them.

I can only suggest that you try the recipe "as is" and subsequently omit the lemon juice if you don't like it.  Otherwise, simply omit it, from the word go, if it badly offends your senses  8)

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:45 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:50 AM »
...adds a slight tartiness (to the taste and aroma) to what otherwise is a mild, sweet, creamy, coconutty and almondy dish.

Umm, yes that was my point.  :)

CTM is by definition a sweet, mild - i.e. no chilli, creamy coconutty dish. If you add lemon or chilli (CK) you are no longer in CTM land, you've sailed away on a different boat. I'm not saying your version wouldn't be palatable, just that it isn't a standard BIR CTM and I thought that was what this forum was about.

YF

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:24 PM »
I have seen it on many BIR menus YF.

Don't forget that it's also in the tikka marinade and in many tikka/tandoori pastes too

As an article by the BBC said:

"...a wide range of variable ingredients. A 1998 survey by Real Curry Restaurant Guide of 48 different CTMs found only common ingredient was chicken"  ::)

As I said, if it offends thee, simply leave it out!  Too easy!  ::)

Perhaps you have a decent BIR CTM recipe that you could share with us YF?

Regards,

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Well you live and learn, eh?

It's funny though, I must have by chance, in my travels, picked the restaurants that make CTM without lemon juice or chilli, because they've always been fairly uniform in flavour. I dunno.

YF

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 01:04 PM »
CTM near me always has lemon juice in

©2024 Curry Recipes