Author Topic: Lamb Madras  (Read 11308 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Madras
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I was really inspired by CA's Chicken Madras which he kindly posted over the weekend along with his Chicken Tikka Masala and various other posts, that I thought today I would have a go at a Lamb Madras. I've pretty much used CA's instructions and ingredients along the way with just a few minor changes.

For the Tandoori Masala I used Orange food colouring instead of Red and Yellow (available in powder form from TRS), which gave the madras an orangy colour which is more the colour we get in this region.

I have to say that this has turned out really well, and I am looking forward to it tonight. I do like my Madras to be quite hot, so I have used 2 teaspoons of Kashmiri Mirch and 1 teaspoon of Chilli flakes.

Let me know what you think, and thank you Coryander for the inspiration :)

Lamb Madras hot, spicy sauce

Ingredients: (Serves 1-2)
- 4 lamb leg steaks cut into chunks
- 75 ml oil. I used 50ml reclaimed oil and 25ml Rapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 3 tbsp water)
- 300ml curry base. I used the Saffron base as that is all I had but no complaints
- 1 tsp curry masala (CA's)
- 1 tsp curry powder (I use Rajah Hot Madras)
- 2 tsp chili powder (I use Kashmiri Mirch)
- 0.25 tsp tandoori masala (CA's)
- 0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes

Method:
I pre-cooked the lamb as follows. Heat a little oil in a pan, I added 1 tsp tandoori masala (CA's) and gently fried for around 30 seconds, I then added the lamb turned up the heat and sealed the lamb in the spices. I then covered with Hot water, brought it to the boil then simmered for 10 minutes on a low heat. Meanwhile I pre- warmed my oven to 190 degrees C then finished off the lamb in there for 5 minutes.
- Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat oil in suitable pan
- Add garlic and ginger and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add chilli powder, curry masala, curry powder, and tandoori masala and stir well.
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir

- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add salt, chilli flakes and lemon juice to taste and stir
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes)
- Add fresh coriander to taste
- Serve

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Madras
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:26 PM »
976bar,

i've just had a quick shuffty at CA's vindaloo recipe and can see this madras will be top notch - just like your pic.

ps u'll be no good working in a BIR though - too much coriander

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Looks good, right all round to 967's for tonight's curry...

Cheers
CoR

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:35 PM »
976bar,

i've just had a quick shuffty at CA's vindaloo recipe and can see this madras will be top notch - just like your pic.

Thank Heavans for that!! I like to be on the other side of the counter!! lol :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40 PM »

Cheers
CoR

Too late!! It's all gone! :)

It was lovely, however I have one confession, I over cooked the lamb :( In future I am going to revert back to my original workings and not pre-cook the lamb, I'll cube it then just add it to the curry as it's cooking and keep a keener eye on it, as it normally comes out far more tender :)

Oh well back to the drawing board :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:21 PM »

Cheers
CoR

Too late!! It's all gone! :)

It was lovely, however I have one confession, I over cooked the lamb :( In future I am going to revert back to my original workings and not pre-cook the lamb, I'll cube it then just add it to the curry as it's cooking and keep a keener eye on it, as it normally comes out far more tender :)

Oh well back to the drawing board :)

976bar , could you marinate the Lamb in some Mint do you reckon ?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Looks good Emin-j  8)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:54 AM »

I hope you're kidding, Jerry. That amount of coriander is fine for a final garnish... but I sure hope there's lots more chopped coriander in the Madras!

Great looking curry. I haven't made a lamb dish in ages. Gives me inspiration to get cracking. Unfortunately no one else in my household likes lamb. Oh well, sounds like another Curry for One at my house.

976bar - I'm surprised you overcooked the lamb, and I'm not sure that adding it raw will get the best flavour and texture. I've always found that lamb needs a real long slow pre-cook to be fork-tender. Probably one of the reasons I haven't made it as often as I'd like...

- Josh

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:51 AM »
976bar - I'm surprised you overcooked the lamb, and I'm not sure that adding it raw will get the best flavour and texture. I've always found that lamb needs a real long slow pre-cook to be fork-tender. Probably one of the reasons I haven't made it as often as I'd like...

I agree, Josh,  I also pre-cook lamb (and beef) in a slow cooker, for 2 to 3 hours, and I would also be hesitant to cook it with the curry (cos it will undoubtedly end up too tough). 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18 AM »
josh,

weren't kidding at all - in a BIR u get 1 piece of coriander maybe 2 pieces on top (usually stuck to the lid). what the pic showed to me was how good 976bar is in the kitchen doing food in general - the garnish looks good to me too. i would put even more in but as u say it's hidden in the sauce - i think this is exactly what BIR's do - a sort of inverse to what the pic shows (re recent post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3997.new;topicseen#new).

©2024 Curry Recipes