Author Topic: Belting Balti!  (Read 43038 times)

Offline Yakmandoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Belting Balti!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Yep Tommy you have echoed my thoughts exactly , leave the cinnamon out alltogether next time, ive made this base twice and must say ive been very happy with it.

Offline al-frezi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Still a novice at this home cooking malarky!!

This recipe looks the best by far and i'm trying it this weekend.
My only query is when i make the base sauce, do i leave the hard spices i.e cloves, peppercorns, cardomon seeds and bay leaf in and blitz it or take them out before i do it?

all advice is greatly appreciated
Cheers

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57 PM »

My only query is when i make the base sauce, do i leave the hard spices i.e cloves, peppercorns, cardomon seeds and bay leaf in and blitz it or take them out before i do it?

all advice is greatly appreciated
Cheers

I alway's remove the hard spices before blending, But if you must leave them in, Just sieve it afterwards.
I expect there will be more advice to come ;)

Les   

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Hi al-frezi,

Please let us know how you get on and if you can get some photos of the curries please feel free to share with the community.

Stew

Offline al-frezi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Think i will remove the peppercorns etc, i've only got a simple stick blender and don't think it will b up to blitzing all them.

I will certainly take some photos off the finished article and post em up.

Wish me luck :-)

Offline bishabosha

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Did this one as my first curry from the forum, soooo good, even with a blocked nose!

Easy to do and halving the quantities feeds 4 people.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08 AM »
From a recipe book I got with a set of balti pans!  At least 10 years ago now.

It is the best recipe I possess without doubt.

Not sure if it was a restaurant sideline( the pans), but it certainly tastes and looks BIR.

Merry Xmas!
Hi
Old thread but is this book Mr Bham's Imperial Balti Express by any chance? Came with a 7 piece balti dish set. Circa 1995?

Offline eatstreet

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Just joined the site and gave this a try. I took advise from other comments and reduced the amount of cinnamon. Very pleased with the final result. Thanks

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 03:38 AM »
I have been looking for a Balti recipe for some time.

This recipe is not like most I have seen on here and so I read all the comments/reviews and considerations and modified the recipe.
I made the base yesterday, so that I could have it ready as one of the dishes for after the football, here is what is left over:

I did not include any cinnamon as I had intended to use Chicken but when I tasted the base, I chose to use beef instead (last minute decision, no mutton/lamb to hand, ok, maybe last 6hr decision) but the base can be used for Chicken.

I would say that I nearly burnt out my blender on a couple of attempts trying to blend this gravy.
ADVICE
Blend in smaller quantities and add a little extra water (Eventually, I blended 400ml of gravy with 100ml of water, 3 times.).. the extra water is necessary for beef, maybe for lamb but can also be boiled off before adding the chicken.

The fragrance (and taste test) of this base was extremely familiar during the cooking and I will definitely make it again BUT it is a Balti Gravy, not a Base Gravy per se.
BAJ

©2024 Curry Recipes