Author Topic: Kushi Beef Balti - won the local curry club  (Read 16701 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi Beef Balti - won the local curry club
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:56 AM »
And finallly what can I say but thanks to the forum for the win :)

Vinotinto, very well done mate.  That does look lovely and rich :P,  Just the one portion for me with a naan please  ;D

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51 AM »
cracking job, well done!

Barry

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments.  I always assumed that when you ordered a meat curry (which Ive seen a few times) it was made with beef (or meat that wasnt lamb anyway!!)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments.  I always assumed that when you ordered a meat curry (which Ive seen a few times) it was made with beef (or meat that wasnt lamb anyway!!)
Invariably in the earlier days it always used to be mutton :o

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31 PM »
And it features quite regularly down south too, along with duck, venison, osterich  and fish.  Things have moved on a little since the very early days ;)
I would respectfully suggest the opposite : beef curry /was/ most definitely on the menu in the early 1970's (New Delhi restaurant, Finchley Road, amongst others) but is far less commonly seen on menus these days.  Duck, yes, but by no means common.  Have never seen ostrich offered.

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I wish I had a curry club near me!!! :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Pictures of my Beef Balti - really was not only a great tasting curry but also the winner of our local curry competition:
And finallly what can I say but thanks to the forum for the win :)

Well done for the win but shouldn't you be thanking the chef and co-author behind the Kushi Balti book?

How does the forum have much to do with it, on this occasion? Or did you use a recipe that someone unfairly posted here, in serious breach of copyright law and any reasonable standard of common decency, IMHO?

I feel quite strongly about this - if indeed it was the Kushi Balti recipe you used because, also IMHO, that book is close to being the best BIR-focussed publication since sliced bread. Shouldn't they be getting the credit? I'm having more and more success with the recipes in there.

I'd never have heard of Kushi or their book if it wasn't for this forum

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Yes I also bought the book based on information on this forum. Some fool at Amazon sent me 5 copies for the price of one so I wasn't complaining and had a few gifts for family and friends.

Paul

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I see your point George but without this forum I doubt I'd have stumbled upon the book.  I've got plenty of cook books at home that have disappointed, its nice for a change to try before you buy, which I shall be.  Also if you take Abdul for example, his cooperation with the forum has been of mutual benefit for all.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 10:43 PM »
How does the forum have much to do with it, on this occasion? Or did you use a recipe that someone unfairly posted here, in serious breach of copyright law and any reasonable standard of common decency, IMHO?

I feel quite strongly about this - if indeed it was the Kushi Balti recipe you used because, also IMHO, that book is close to being the best BIR-focussed publication since sliced bread. Shouldn't they be getting the credit? I'm having more and more success with the recipes in there.

George, I guess that I'm guilty of this with this book.  I did this back in my early posting days, not really giving consideration to copyright law, however, I do think that it has to be said that a fair few members have actually bought the book on the back of reading one or two of the post's from cr0, so in that respect Mr Haydor has probably generated a nice 'little earner' on the back of cr0?

The fact that he hasn't taken any legal action, suggests that he is fine with the 'free' advertising that this fantastic forum has provided?

This however, does not negate the fact that he did protect his work by copyright, and I should have respected that copyright at the time.  Maybe the active moderators of that time or even Admin should have protected it's 'naive' posters and should have clearly advised on copyright law?

Ray :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes