Author Topic: Undercover, an insiders expose of British Indian restaurant cookery  (Read 2932 times)

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hi, was wondering if anyone has this book or an opinion on it, it's  advertised at the whopping price of

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Yes, I have a copy Anita.  Would you like it (for considerably less than Amazon/Ebay are asking) ?!  Or you might like a copy for only
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:14 PM by Pedantic Phil »

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Firstly Phil, is it worth having and secondly if it is, how much?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
You could look on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Undercover-Curry-Insiders-Expose-British-Restaurant-Cookery/0956525709

I have the book and i really enjoyed reading it, it's not like the "normal" recipe books where it gives specific amounts etc..
This book, to me anyway, looks like it is written from the Chef's point of view, with a "dip" here and a "dip" there, which is the measurement guide the book uses. I found the book to be very informative and well worth the buy.
Only advice i would give is read the whole book first then try the recipes. It's the technique that interests me.
I still use a few recipes from there to this day.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Well, the very fact that I am willing to let you have my copy for next to nothing suggests that I don't rate it very highly ...  I had a few online exchanges with the author when I first received my copy, particularly w.r.t. the use of milk in pulao rice, and he initially seemed very open to discussion and input, but when I asked him whether he really thought that (for example) replacing the word "chicken" on page 77 by the phrase "beef or lamb" really justified adding two pages to the text and a concomitant increase in price, he went very quiet.  Of course, Dave Lloyden is by no means the only author to pretend that (for example) "Beef or lamb achar pall" is a totally different recipe to "Chicken achar pall", but the amateurish typesetting made it only too plain that in his case at least, it was a clear case of "clone pages 76--97 as pages 98--119, replacing all instances of "chicken" by "beef or lamb", and thereby pretend that your book is far longer and more impressive than it really is".

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:04 PM by Pedantic Phil »

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Still looking on Ebay when I came across this little 'gem'

1960 THE FRAY BENTOS CORNED BEEF COOKBOOK IN GOOD CONDITION CALCUTTA CURRY

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
But does it have a recipe for corned beef hash ? Now that is a dish I love ...

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
But does it have a recipe for corned beef hash ? Now that is a dish I love ...

Agreed Phil, Nowt wrong we corned beef hash

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Good with fresh ginger too.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes