Author Topic: Optimal temperature for short-term storage of cooked meats  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Ignoring all considerations (such as health & safety, food hygiene, risk of food poisoning, etc) other than the gustatory experience, is it better to store cooked meats refrigerated or at room temperature ?  I ask because I am increasingly inclined to store such things as a part-eaten shoulder of lamb at room temperature rather than refrigerated so as to retain (as far as possible) the texture of fresh-cooked meat if they are likely to be eaten within 24 hours and if the ambient temperature is not excessive.  What do others think ?

** Phil.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Optimal temperature for short-term storage of cooked meats
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:05 PM »
The texture change will once chilled in the fridge...The length of time  I would leave cooked meat once cooled is about an hour and after that into the fridge  I would be a bit worried leaving it at room temperature for any longer especially for the time you stated...In my opinion I would have to say it's not recommended...  Safety is paramount,don't take any chances straight into the chiller and will last 3 to 4 days   

bb1

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Well, I've just carved this evening's dinner (roast shoulder of lamb), cooked at this time yesterday and left sealed but unrefrigerated; it tastes and smells perfect, but for obvious reasons I have now put the remainder in the 'fridge.  I agree with you wholeheartedly that refrigeration changes the texture completely (and not for the better).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:23 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:43 PM »
`I've always maintained if it smells ok then it's good to go..I've carved lamb the next day after being chilled and it's really not the same. or any meat for that matter..Juice's and texture have all gone so I completely understand what you are saying Phill

BB1

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Well, still alive, and no signs of Delhi belly or anything similar.  I will eat the chilled remainder this evening and report on any perceivable differences in taste/texture/etc. ...

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Definite degradation after chilling.  Had I been served my 24-hours-at-room-temperature lamb in a restaurant, I would have been hard put to state categorically that it was not freshly cooked; the converse was true after 24 hours at room temperature followed by 24 hours at 5
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:08 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes