Author Topic: Curry Kings Lamb Bhuna  (Read 52705 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Kings Lamb Bhuna
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Bobby Bhuna, can you say which base you used, and given that you seem to be based in central Scotland can you post your best Pakora recipe I have been on the case for the best Glasgow BIR version for thirty years believe me, many have come close but something always seems to be missing. I will have a go with your recommendation for Korma this weekend together with Curry Kings Lamb Bhuna again. Cheers Panpot

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Bobby Bhuna, can you say which base you used

It was this base that I knocked up recently but I'm sure most will be ok.

I've never made Pakora, so I couldn't comment on that one. With that said, I have used a couple of Bhaji recipes and they're never quite right. I don't know if this helps, but there's a baked potato shop on London Road that sells some of the best Pakora I've had.

The guy who runs it is a friend of a friend and I was racking his brains. I remeber fresh spinach and fresh fenugreek were in there - they have the luck of being opposite an Asian grocer.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Thanks Bobby, it is more the spice involved in the Pakora thing. I am cooking CK's bhuna tonight and will have a go at the Korma you recommend too. Cheers

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14 PM »
After people have cooked this would you say that the 10 tbsp of base was enough or should i use more?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 10:37 PM »
SKAZE - I've used this recipe exactly per spec many times. 10 tbsp of base is enough. Bhuna is meant to be drier than other curries anyway. If you use more, be sure to evaporate the moisture out a little more than usual.

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 10:42 PM »
SKAZE - I've used this recipe exactly per spec many times. 10 tbsp of base is enough. Bhuna is meant to be drier than other curries anyway. If you use more, be sure to evaporate the moisture out a little more than usual.

Ok mate, thanks alot  8)

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Hey, ive just made this curry, best curry i have ever made, closest i have got to bir in my oppinion, i still got some practise but was very impressed.

I used three tbsp of oil and found in future i would use maybe 2.5 as i didnt use as much onion, i also found my pepper and chilli hard to stop from burning in the first stage, didnt burn them though and was ok ( disgarded any smaller bits that started to brown ).........only thing i find is when frying pepper and chilli i get this shiny almost grey colour on them, is this because i have to much heat at the early stage???

I find the taste of my base i use quite, dont know if id say bitter the taste id describe is quite vegy , probs my taste buds and it actually is bitter ( was last portion of my first ever base, bruce edwards one) but a pinch of sugar balanced that out.

I love frying the spices when they fizzle and foam and release " that smell "..

Oh yeh i used chicken instead of lamb, couldnt get hold of any this morning.

All in all, very impressed, here is a pic, looks simular to everyone else's.

Thanks for the recipe  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Hey, ive just made this curry, best curry i have ever made, closest i have got to bir in my oppinion, i still got some practise but was very impressed.

That looks delicious Skaze. Well done mate!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Great job. Looks the business  :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 07:28 AM »

I find the taste of my base i use quite, dont know if id say bitter the taste id describe is quite vegy , probs my taste buds and it actually is bitter ( was last portion of my first ever base, bruce edwards one) but a pinch of sugar balanced that out.

try cooking the onions for 2hrs before blending (lid on) and then 1 hr after blending (lid off) adding extra water water to compensate for the evaporation.

©2024 Curry Recipes