Author Topic: Methi  (Read 15544 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Methi
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I have to say that,without exception every restaurant/take-away kitchen I've been into(4 so far)I've seen the chef use methi when cooking curries.Most videos show the same thing,so yes it's pretty widespread.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I have always used methi leaf in my Madras, only because nearly every madras recipe I have seen uses it.
On Friday I made a Madras and omitted the methi, and I have to say it was a fantastic curry, better than normal. This could be down to other factors though - The jb base, cooking the ingredients in a different order or the omission of methi.
 I wont really know till I have tried it a few more times, but it definitely hit all the right notes.

littlechilie

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 09:49 AM »
I believe it is a difficult herb to use Andy as it's bitter, so unless we cook out the curry correctly it can enhance the rawness of a undercooked curry!

But if the curry is cooked to perfection then it's slightly sweet, so the Methi and lemon juice evens the sweetness out.

It's a tightrope we cross ;)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I watched a chef use methi he put a good pinch in his palms then rubbed it to a powder then lobbed it in
I have tried and for some unknown reason it makes the curry less harsh
I expect someone who is a professor of methi use and what height to drop for the best flavour will educate us all ;D

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I have tried many different heights Ox but it is not only about height , you have to take into consideration the trajectory of the methi and the angle on landing into the curry!  ;)

littlechilie

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Newton & Einstein may well create a Mathematica theory for this, but Johannes Kepler's noted his three laws of planetary motion in 1605  8)
Combine all three with a (BIR Jedi Master Chef) and we may well have the results 8)

;D ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Newton & Einstein may well create a Mathematica theory for this

No, Mathematica hadn't been written at that time; they would have been forced to use more primitive software such as Maple.

but Johannes Kepler's noted his three laws of planetary motion in 1605

Whilst Tycho Brahe expired on 24th October 1601 of a bladder or kidney ailment after attending a banquet in Prague.  According to Kepler's first-hand account, Tycho had refused to leave the banquet to relieve himself because it would have been a breach of etiquette.  After he had returned home, he was no longer able to urinate, except eventually in very small quantities and with excruciating pain.

** Phil.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Well that cleared that up   :o ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 11:40 AM »
I watched a chef use methi he put a good pinch in his palms then rubbed it to a powder then lobbed it in
I have tried and for some unknown reason it makes the curry less harsh
I expect someone who is a professor of methi use and what height to drop for the best flavour will educate us all ;D

Probably depends on whether or not you've just scratched your cashews.

littlechilie

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 07:11 PM »
 ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes