Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 255797 times)

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #510 on: April 10, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Has anyone tried adding aything extra such as garlic or chili to the original ingredients rather than adding once cooked?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 11, 2016, 12:55 PM »
If you read back through the thread, there are quite a few variations including chilli, garlic and keema

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2016, 01:49 PM »
I have made these naans a few times now and always just followed the original recipe. I just noticed the addition of yoghurt in the 'adapting h4c recipe for yeast' thread and am just wondering what other gems of information lie within this 50page behemoth thread.

I really don't have the time to scroll through the entire thread reading every post.

After browsing a few pages I picked out just a couple of tweaks.. one being to add a tablespoon of yoghurt and the other was to make sure you mix the baking powder into the dry ingredients.

Do I need to adjust the water/milk content after adding a dollop of yoghurt?

Are there any other popular suggestions hiding in this thread?

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Yes I agree that it could do with updating otherwise this will go unused for the majority.

How about a more compact and refined run down of the revised?

Cheers

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37 AM »
It took me nearly four years to get around to trying h4ppy's naan breads and I'm pleased I eventually did. They came out tasting better than most naan breads I have in Indian restaurants and they bubbled up just like in h4ppy's video, too. The recipe must therefore stand out as one of the best ever posted on this forum.

It's ironic that by posting the youtube link in post #1. SP broke h4ppy's strict 'rule' regarding copyright, Whatever happened to h4ppy and his long-promised book?

As for modifying it much, why bother if, as I suggest, it's already very close to perfection as described in the video?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Update: having just searched through the naan bread thread, I was reminded that I was also impressed by pacman's recipe some years earlier, I'm not surprised, given it's so similar to h4ppy's recipe. It's bad form, actually, that h4ppy omits to say where 'his' recipe originated. Could he have lifted it straight from the pacman recipe, with just a few minor changes, such as more sugar? I now need to make small batches of both recipes to see if there's any difference.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I don't think there was ever any claim of originality from happy chris with respect to 'his' naan recipe George. He basically skipped that detail. Certainly there's nothing in the technique or recipe that had not already been posted in other places, including this forum. I think he just brought it all together in one (very long-winded) video and that's what made it popular.

I'd love to know what happened to his curry book as well. I'm guessing he had a falling out with the chef, perhaps during one of his more drunken moments!  ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I've recently been having some difficulty getting my naan to actually stick to the Tawa.  It is a plain steel Tawa, exactly the same as the ones shown in the Indian youtube videos and I bought it cheap from an Indian supply store.  I've been looking at the various but similar dough recipes I've been using and the thing that stands out is the inclusion of oil in the dough.  I scrubbed the Tawa clean the other day and sanded it with wet and dry paper to remove any build up of scum that may have created a non-stick surface but still had non-stick properties.
Could it be the inclusion of oil in the dough?  Many recipes use it but I notice from Garps writeup that this one doesn't.  I couldn't be bothered sditting through the video again.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I would've thought it's very possible.  Either that or you didn't make the naan wet enough with water before slapping it onto the tawa.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50 PM »
You CAN use a nonstick Tava or Frying Pan to do stovetop Naan.
You just have to get the pan hot enough for the Naan to stick.

The water splashes on the dough helps the dough stick like instant superglue.

If you have took your Tava down to bare metal, it will oxidise, so you need
to create a patina with oil at high temperature to stop this.
Just like seasoning a Wok.

There is no oil as an ingredient in a restaurant Naan Mix (Thats Pizza dough)

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes