Author Topic: Favorite Recipes at the moment - Vindaloo  (Read 15855 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Recipes at the moment - Vindaloo
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 01:48 PM »
it looks very good, but the best ones I have had all have a "hot and sour" flavour, which try as I might, cannot find what
this is. And it is NOT vinegar !? It doesn't seem to be over-done with coriander either.

Tamarind perhaps

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 02:10 PM »

Tamarind perhaps

From http://www.uppercrustindia.com/10crust/ten/rec2.htm

Camellia Panjabis Goan Pork Vindaloo

Goan Pork Vindaloo
Goa
Vindaloo is a dish made by descendants of, or those who lived in areas dominated by, the Portuguese. It is primarily made with chillies, garam masalam, garlic and vinegar. The word vindaloo comes from a combination of vin for vinegar and aloo from albo, which is Portuguese for garlic. The chillies were introduced into Goa by the Portuguese, and the garam masala spices were those traded in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. This is one of the best vindaloo recipes. You can make it as hot as you want. Phil Mendes from Goa whose recipe it is, likes her food spicy but not searing hot and therefore she de-seeds the red chillies. Vindaloo in Goa was and is traditionally made with pork. But you can also make it with mutton. Best with boiled rice. Serves 5-6

Ingredients:

15-20 whole red chillies (preferably Kashmiri type) or 3-1/2 tsps red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 cloves
2-inch cinnamon stick
10 peppercorns
1-4 star anise
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 x 1/4-inch piece of ginger
6 plump garlic cloves
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
4 tsps Goa or Parsee vinegar
1/3 cup oil
3 medium onions, finely chopped
750 gm pork or mutton, cubed salt
1/2 tsp jaggery to taste
15 curry leaves

Procedure:
Soak the chillies in a little water to soften. Then grind all the spices including the chillies, ginger, garlic and tamarind with the vinegar to make a smooth paste. Rub a little of the spice mixture on to the meat and marinate for 1 hour. Heat the oil in a cooking pot and fry the onions for about 15 minutes until brown. Add the spice paste and fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously and adding 2 tbsps water if neccessary. Add the meat and saute in the spice mixture for 5 minutes. Add 4 cups water and salt to taste and cook over a low heat until tender. Stir in the curry leaves and simmer for 3-4 minutes; the vindaloo is now ready to serve. The vinegar and oil in the dish act as preservatives and it freezes extremely well. It can also keep in the refrigerator for 2 days and will in fact be better the day after cooking. You can also make just the spice paste in large batches and freeze it, using small amounts as and when required.This dish is equally good using beef.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Good work Curry king, i hope everyone starts to post pictures of their creations....would be good to see what peeps are coming up with.

Admin

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Thanks,

Ive got a couple of pics of some chicken tikka I made at the weekend to put up later, but I will stick them in a different thread.

Maybe as an idea we have a picture group just for posting pictures of currys etc.. ?

cK
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 02:34 PM by Curry King »

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Heres another one I made this time im using the trusty gravy but with added cashew nuts, carrots and potatoes

A differnet taste from the standard, sweeter and darker in colour, very nice though? 8)

Offline napole0n

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Heres another one I made this time im using the trusty gravy but with added cashew nuts, carrots and potatoes

A differnet taste from the standard, sweeter and darker in colour, very nice though? 8)
The above Vindaloo looks really good.
Are you as pleased with your home results as you are with ones you buy, now?
It looks brilliant, I can almost smell the aroma.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Are you as pleased with your home results as you are with ones you buy, now?

Yeah I still make the occasional duff one but most of the time I think my home made currys are easily as good as restaurant currys.

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Hi Curry King,

I only had enough chicken for one (generous!) portion so I thought I'd give this a blast this afternoon. All I can say is..."Wow!"  TBH, I did deviate a little, I had to use fresh tomatoes as I didn't have tinned and i lobbed in the full onion ;) I also chucked in a potato :-X

As for the curry powder, I'm in the process of using up the remainder of the Pat Chapman batch I made, so i'll be trying out other versions in the near future. This turned out a little thicker than I'm used to, but I'm putting tha down to my deviations. I took a few photos whilst cooking it, but then i ate it before i could take any pictures of it on my plate!! ;D ;D ;D You should be able to click on the pictures for a larger view. This is a VERY good recipe for cooking in small (1 or 2) portions. I will definitaley be using this again  ;D I'm so happy!!!

Heating the oil

Tsp (!!) of onion & 5 fresh green chillis

Add a couple of spoons of curry base

Erm..!?

5 tsp X H Chilli, 2 tsp Pat C curry masala (powder) and ginger

Chicken and potato lobbed in

The rest of the bag of curry base goes in with the tomatoes (wrong type last night!)

A big bunch of chopped fresh dhania goes in...'mmmm' :-*

A close up!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:14 PM by vindaloo »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Nice work vindaloo. A model example of the cooking process if ever I saw one. Where was your base sauce hiding, and which one did you use?

YF

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Hi Vindaloo that looks pretty impressive how did it compare to your local?

Yeah the sauce does look a little thick, I usualy find that it happens if base sauce doesn't have enough water in it or it's not been fully heated through before adding to the final curry. 

cK

©2024 Curry Recipes