Author Topic: CA's Chicken Ceylon  (Read 105831 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Ceylon
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:02 AM »
CA's Chicken Ceylon (medium hot, spicy sauce with coconut and lemon)

serves 1-2

Ingredients:

- 300g skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 75 ml spiced oil (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667)
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 3 tbsp water)
- 300ml curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0)
- 1 tsp curry masala (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- 1 tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one, or paste, will do)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 0.25 tsp tandoori masala (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1514.0) - optional
- 0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 3 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp coconut powder (dissolved in a little water to make a paste)
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- fresh chillies (optional)

Method:

- Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat oil in suitable pan (I use a cast iron wok) until almost smoking
- Add chicken and fry for a couple of minutes, on high heat, with continuous stirring, until sealed (i.e. just white on the outside)
- Add garlic and ginger (and fresh chillies, if using) and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add chilli powder, curry masala, curry powder (or paste) and tandoori masala (if using)
- Stir, to coat the chicken, and return to heat
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir
- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add coconut paste and stir
- Add salt, sugar and lemon juice to taste and stir
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes)
- Add fresh coriander to taste
- Serve

Notes:

- You can use any other oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil or canola oil) rather than spiced oil, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent spice mix or curry powder, or paste, in place of the masala, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other precooked meat (or prawns) - just add it, after adding the first ladle of curry base, and make sure it is heated thoroughly

Below is a photo of the resultant chicken ceylon:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:55 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Looks good CA. Kwik Kwestion, what coconut powder are you using, is it the Maggi coconut milk powder in the yellow packet or summat else?

Cheers
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47 AM »
CA,

looks real good to me (just the type of curry i love). have written a yellow sticky out to try on next base.

would u normally add the optional green chilli or not (what's best to suit the recipe in your view).

CoR - i will use coconut flour (mine's Heera brand but any of flour will do - be careful not to get desiccated coconut - it don't work the same magic).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:50 AM »
what coconut powder are you using, is it the Maggi coconut milk powder in the yellow packet

Yes, Maggi coconut milk powder is exactly what I use, CoR  8)

The reason I say to make it into a paste with water (you could use milk, if you prefer) is that you can end up with lumps if you add the powder directly to the curry (though, to be honest, this is what I normally do!  :-X)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:57 AM »
would u normally add the optional green chilli or not (what's best to suit the recipe in your view)

I think whatever takes your fancy Jerry.  It seems to me that a ceylon lends itself to a variety of heat levels created with or without the use of fresh chillies.

I often add a teaspoon of chopped green chillies, together with the garlic and ginger, if I want to pep up the heat a bit (and change the flavour)....being wary of any bitterness they may impart, of course  :P

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08 AM »
HI CA
Top quality looking dish, I think this one could be on my bonfire party menu- look forward to trying this out.
Matt

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:04 PM »
CA - this looks very similar to your Madras recipe (plus I think some coconut powder and extra tsp of lemon juice. I've never had a Ceylon before, so had no idea it was that similar to Madras.

I will have to try this out on the weekend!

Thanks CA!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:57 PM »
CA - this looks very similar to your Madras recipe (plus I think some coconut powder and extra tsp of lemon juice

Yes, totally correct Josh. 

It seems to me that a Ceylon (a BIR interpretation, anyway) is effectively a more lemony and coconutty madras.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:43 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline johnny fow

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Hi.

I tried this out saturday night, I must say it was 1 of the best curries I've had. Awesome. Thanks CA.

Regards.
Johnny.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40 AM »
johnny fow,

u've convinced me to try this one. i've had a yellow sticky of the recipe on my kitchen wall for yonks. i'll give it a go this weekend. the spec does look v.good and CA certainly knows curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes