Author Topic: My 99.9% Vindaloo Clone  (Read 25602 times)

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MY 99.9% Clone (Vindalloo)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 08:02 PM »
I used Rajah Extra hot madras curry power instead of the one you used and i put the corriander leaves in also so thats maybe why its slightly different in colour? Still it looks right and tastes great.
Gonna make your madras recipe with it later tonight after a few stella's, just in time for Match of the Day :D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 08:18 PM »
The Coriander is supposed to be in the base mix so thats OK Chillihead.
I don`t think the Rajah brand Curry powder should make the Curry base come out any different either.
The Madras recipe is really , really, nice I'm going to be experimenting with alternative forms of heat as i believe all the extra hot Chilli powder i use overpowers the flavor ( as was perceivable in the Madras ).

DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 10:27 PM »
Hi All,

I have made Darth,s base with success and can add these comments.
Don't worry too much about the amount of water.
Cook with what you think is the right amount, i.e. just cover the veg etc and cook down . It should end up thickish but as has been suggested about the consistency of cup-a-soup, perhaps a bit thicker
Add more water if required or cook down more to thicken, use your own judgement.

I used East End Madras Curry Powder but don't think any particular brand will make a noticable difference or will it??.

The Onion chopping was a ball-ache and made my eyes stream but I reckon halving the recipe would not be detrimental.
Shoot me down in flames if you dissagree.
I only just had a pot big enough to take all this but I think Darth uses an old tin bath in the back garden so he has plenty of room!!

I did get the "Golden Orange" colour and not green. Having said that I don't think the colour is as important as the final taste.

I do think there is too much "Heat" in this recipe to fully appreciate the real taste, for me at least. I reduced the Chilli content by at least a half and that was far more acceptable for me.

At least with a few folk trying this we can share our ideas and perhaps help Darth "fine tune" his end result to achieve the result we all want to achieve!!

Ray

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Thanks for the input Ray.. i think my eyes were misleading me as I asked my misses "what colour is it, is it golden, she said green at first but as soon as I mentioned golden she agreed with me. It was probably the lighting in our kitchen.
I made the vindaloo recipe and it was very nice and not too hot for me! I have tried Darths other "best base to date" recipe and I found that this was more like my local BIR. Its probably because that one had much much more oil in the recipe. Needless to say I am very happy with this receipe and I have a tonne of base sauce and now vindaloo sauce to experiment with :)
Thanks Darth, I will try it tomorrow as I should have left it overnight I guess :)

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 11:35 PM »
Regarding the onion chopping Ray, I use a V-Slicer, you probably have seen them on TV? Its very easy its just peeling the 15 onions that effects me :D
You can get them on eBay cheaper than you can buy on TV.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 06:56 AM »
Hi Darth,

Do you think halving your recipe ( for those of us who don't have a cauldron as big as your's! ) would still give us the same end result?
I don't think there would be much difference so might well try this reduced amount next time.
At least we will get the rest of the shopping in the freezer as well!! Or what about a bigger freezer..................now there's an idea!!

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for your positive input regarding this recipe its really nice to see people getting the results & enjoyment that i`ve achieved, absolutely bloody marvelous !!!

Hey Chillihead i was thinking about a v-slicer !!
Do you recommend? As i cook loads of vegetables, are they as good as the ad suggests ?
 Yes the" best base to date" does make a very good curry, i`ve reduced the oil on health grounds as i feel all that vegetable oil we eat isn't good, i`ve experimented with Olive oil in this recipe & because its so flavorsome You don't perceive it all, which is great for us as its the only part of our Curries that were questionable, i may go back to my other base & try with olive oil just to see what happens.

Hi Ray i`m unsure about halving the ingredients as Ive already done that !!
Thats my alteration i haven't mentioned !!
This is supposed to be made with 30 medium/largish Onions  ;D.( I used 15 large Spanish Onions for size comparison)  :)
All Ive done is halved the Onion content to 15 but kept the other ingredients as per original 30 Onion recipe.
I get a feeling if you halve again to 7/8 Onions you may need to reduce the other ingredients & if you lose flavor i suppose you could go back to using full Dessertspoons of Spice in the second stage, i will stick to this recipe as is , as a point of note on pans . My largest pot is not big enough to do this recipe ( no Bath outside  :( ) so when i chopped all my Vegetables i mixed them up in a large bowl & split into to two pans once cooked i was able to put all in one pot the puree when cool  ;).

Thanks for having faith in DARTHY`S recipes & methods,  :D

DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 10:52 AM »
P.s. I think there are three other members who were given very similar base recipe/method from their local Take-aways & having so much success with it, with two types of Curries i believe that it is used . :)

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2005, 11:22 AM »
Hey Chillihead i was thinking about a v-slicer !!
Do you recommend? As i cook loads of vegetables, are they as good as the ad suggests ?

Yes I would recommend it, I bought a brand new one from eBay, its was about ?23.00 inc postage. The guy on the advert is an expert using it and if you have small hands its not that easy at first but we use it all the time now to make salads and chop onions really fast and easily. I chopped all of my veg with it yesterday and it saves so much time.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Looks like i`ll be getting one then !!! ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes