Author Topic: Vindaloo with Zaal base  (Read 16731 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo with Zaal base
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Your use of turkey thigh is interesting SD, I note it's available pre-diced at

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Here Here!!  :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Your use of turkey thigh is interesting SD, I note it's available pre-diced at

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Great description and a lovely looking curry. will have to give turkey a go too .

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Great description and a lovely looking curry. will have to give turkey a go too .

Thanks Tomdip - and do give turkey a go. It makes a change from the ubiquitous (and largely tasteless) chicken breast, and really does work well in curries. Make sure it's leg meat though (preferably thigh).

I've not got anything against turkey breast, but it has much less flavour, dries out too easily, and the texture (for me) just doesn't work as well as thigh meat.

I've just re-heated my turkey thigh vindaloo from last night and it was melt in the mouth tender.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Hi SD
Straight forward recipe
Definitely looks like a witches brew there mate, did you use the flash in the photos?

I guess the Deggie Mirch has given you that darkened colour.
Smoked Hungarian Paprika has the same effect in a Goulash.

Vinegar and Black Pepper are a good "Old School" addition for a Vindaloo.

Not to cause a ruck, but some Bengali kitchen staff jokingly refer to a Phall as the
Gora's idiot curry, and point to the Red Chilli Powder and say "not good'

Will we ever learn,  :D   I doubt it.

Good post, cheers Chewy

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Hi SD
Straight forward recipe
Definitely looks like a witches brew there mate, did you use the flash in the photos?

I guess the Deggie Mirch has given you that darkened colour.
Smoked Hungarian Paprika has the same effect in a Goulash.

Vinegar and Black Pepper are a good "Old School" addition for a Vindaloo.

Not to cause a ruck, but some Bengali kitchen staff jokingly refer to a Phall as the
Gora's idiot curry, and point to the Red Chilli Powder and say "not good'

Will we ever learn,  :D   I doubt it.

Good post, cheers Chewy

Much though I despise it, I did use flash, and there's a little saturation built into the camera's internal settings which will crank up the horror show a little, but  "Witches brew" is a perfect description, Chewy.

And I fess up immediately to being a complete idiot when it comes to chilli heat. I started on the phal's / phall's  in my early 20s, and 30 years on I still haven't learnt. (I'm never sure which spelling to use for phal/phall, as every restaurant menu seems to differ - and they invented it!)

I'm actually a big fan of old-school - and indeed a fan of your work as well. I love your no-nonsense approach and easy to follow instructions in your videos, and regularly make your Madras (complete with Lea & Perrins). Lovely.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Gary

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Thanks Tomdip - and do give turkey a go. It makes a change from the ubiquitous (and largely tasteless) chicken breast, and really does work well in curries. Make sure it's leg meat though (preferably thigh).
I confess I have never tried fresh turkey in a curry, but I do know from bitter4 experience that trying to recyle the remains of the Christmas roast in curry form is a complete and utter waste of time.  However, as regards "the ubiquitous (and largely tasteless) chicken breast", I strongly recommend you try free-range breasts from a large bird (if you have not already done so) -- as different as chalk-and-cheese from the (ubiquitous) waterlogged enzyme-filled breasts of immature battery fowl (may their souls rest in peace).

** Phil.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:08 PM »
I confess I have never tried fresh turkey in a curry, but I do know from bitter4 experience that trying to recyle the remains of the Christmas roast in curry form is a complete and utter waste of time.  However, as regards "the ubiquitous (and largely tasteless) chicken breast", I strongly recommend you try free-range breasts from a large bird (if you have not already done so) -- as different as chalk-and-cheese from the (ubiquitous) waterlogged enzyme-filled breasts of immature battery fowl (may their souls rest in peace).

** Phil.

Couldn't agree more with you on the recycled roast (been there, never again!) and chicken breast front, Phil, and I was also referring to the self-same pale, souless slabs of synthi-chick you mention above.

I'm unexpectedly in between jobs at the moment and this is purely a cost-to-flavour thing with the turkey. I try to buy free range and even organic when I can afford it, but decent free range chicken breast is pretty pricey, and as for good quality lamb, which is my all time favourite meat for curries, well that's even more expensive.

But whenever I've got a few quid spare I'll go halves with my equally curry mad brother and we'll get a whole lamb or goat between us from the rare breed farmer up the road. (If you haven't tried goat in curry, I thoroughly recommend it.)

For the moment though I'm looking forward to trying your "curry powder as nucleus" Madras later. I shall report back with the results on the morrow!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Hi SD,

I always keep the stock from the slow cooker. Tuesday I slow cooked a whole leg of lamb and as it was my birthday, i made a feast for the family, which included, Chicken Korma (My eldest daugthers favourite), Chicken Tikka Masala (My youngest daughters favourite), Kashmiri Chicken Masala (My sons favourite), Garlic Chilli Chicken (My eldest daughters favourite and oen of mine) and a wonderful Lamb Bhuna (My favourite). I cut the lamb up into 2 inch chunks, marinated them in Tikka paste, garlic & Ginger paste, salt methi, oil and water for around 4 hours before slow cooking them for over 3 hours. Pilao rice, bombay aloo and Naans. I didn't take any pictures as I was too knackered at the end of it all, especially as my daughter kept pouring me drinks as well, it's a wonder I got it all finished!!

The lamb just fell apart in your mouth and was to die for. Anyway I digress. The stock I always keep and add to certain curries for more flavour. It's also a great add on if you don't have enough base left for a curry :)

I agree with Chewy, I love smoked paprika and buy several kinds from a lovely spice shop in Sarasota when I go to the USA to visit the girlfriend. I have sweet smoked, hot smoked and just smoked :)

©2024 Curry Recipes