Author Topic: Vindaloo with Zaal base  (Read 16789 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo with Zaal base
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Thanks CH. I'll have to ditch the wok and use my ally pan and chef's spoon and give this a go.

I'm just a bit surprised that if this is the missing link or secret why it seems to have been missed or even dismissed by cr0 members.

Certainly when the Taz recipe and method arrived at cr0 it is virtually impossible to singe anything with this method, so I was left believing that the frying of spices was not really necessary and just a damn good boil with an oily mixture would suffice.

Recently, however, when I've been doing my tarka dall experiments there was a moment when I caught a glimpse of the BIR aroma and this was when I was rapidly frying some garlic.

I'll get singeing this weekend and hopefully achieve a minor breakthrough  ;D

Paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Thanks CH. I'll have to ditch the wok and use my ally pan and chef's spoon and give this a go.

I'm just a bit surprised that if this is the missing link or secret why it seems to have been missed or even dismissed by cr0 members.

Certainly when the Taz recipe and method arrived at cr0 it is virtually impossible to singe anything with this method, so I was left believing that the frying of spices was not really necessary and just a damn good boil with an oily mixture would suffice.

Recently, however, when I've been doing my tarka dall experiments there was a moment when I caught a glimpse of the BIR aroma and this was when I was rapidly frying some garlic.

I'll get singeing this weekend and hopefully achieve a minor breakthrough  ;D

Paul
Paul, when it happens, you'll recognise it alright mate ;D.  There's nothing quite like it when it happens in your own kitchen and in your own pan :o ::) ;)  Think about the Taz method.  What are you left with when you keep reducing it but oily paste.  And if you take it further than you think you should, as advised, things will start singeing, wont they? ;D ;D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Well I dusted off my 26 inch ally pan and got to work last night.
I used 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, 2 tsp ifindforu spice mix, 500 ml ifindforu base and 3 very large cloves of garlic chopped by hand. I was aiming to cook enough curry for 2 modest portions. I used 6 tbs of oil and I must admit the photos make it look super oily when in fact after it was stirred it didn't look so oily.

Anyway I had the pan and oil hot before adding the chopped garlic. This cooked and went brown really quickly so I took off heat while I added the spices and salt and stirred hard back on high heat for probably 30 seconds or so before I chickened out and added 1 tbs tom puree mixed with 3 tbs water.

The result - the garlic was definitely overcooked but still edible. I didn't quite achieve the acrid smell from the chilli powder but at least the spices didn't taste burnt. It did taste hotter than I would expect for 2 tsp kashmiri and I think I got closer to BIR apart from the garlic flavour.

I'll adopt this way of cooking from now on but there is certainly some skill and judgement I need to learn now.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline djossie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hi
Looks great. Are your measurements for a single portion or a double portions
Thanks

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I was aiming to cook enough curry for 2 modest portions.

Or if you like your portions large (like me) one good one  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes