Author Topic: Julian's Vindaloo  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Julian's Vindaloo
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm out of action for the moment, leg in a cast for 6 weeks, but am close to being able to get around the kitchen and am looking forward to my first vindaloo for a couple of months! My question is has anybody done Julian's found here below on you tube. Its tempting me, particularly the effect of the ground cardamom and the 2nd helping of garlic and ginger, and lime. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of this whilst I build myself up to making my first curry for what seems like ages.

Ed 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqYL_xqbu44&list=UUXM2ne7ePM767NFKdizAHMg&index=50

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Julian's Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Yep - I've made it, as has my cousin.

I think it's okay, but my cousin raves about it, and reckons it's the best vindaloo he's ever made. In fact it's become his default vindaloo recipe.

This highlights how personal tastes come so strongly into play in this BIR lark we enjoy so much.

For me, at vindaloo heat levels I personally couldn't discern any additional benefit from the use of cardamom powder, which is quite a subtle flavour (unless you use too much!) and gets lost amongst the chilli heat.

I love my garlic and ginger, but don't think the second helping of garlic and ginger just at the end is a brilliant idea (unless you like the taste of barely cooked garlic/ginger, and don't plan on breathing near anyone any time soon!).

I'd much rather use more at the beginning (which is what I tend to do anyway with hotter curries).

But as said, this is just my personal take. Do give it a go to spec and let us know what you reckon.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Thanks SD, I think I'll do it to spec first and if needed I'll then do it with the extra garlic and ginger at the beginning.

Fingers crossed!

Ed

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I've made the C2G Vindaloo myself, and we enjoyed it quite a bit.  That said, I haven't made a more "standard" Vindaloo in a while, so my ability to compare is a bit rusty.

I do think the chiles at the beginning adds a nice touch, if you've got the right ones and there are a few other unique pieces that make this dish different from the norm.

I agree that it certainly comes down to personal taste.  The recipe makes a tasty dish, but only you can decide if it matches your standards.

I do think it has more going on than my memories of some restaurant vindaloos past.

©2024 Curry Recipes