Author Topic: Curry Kings Madras  (Read 12151 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Kings Madras
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:57 PM »
qprbob

it may just be me but i feel there is a red and brown version of madras. the "red" is all about tomato, garlic and fresh coriander (added with the base). for me it would not contain methi or garam however small the amount. i think the choice is simply down to where in the country you've been brought up. for example literally i can't eat curry in Bradford not to say they're no good (several mates swear by them - but brought up on them). similarly i hold back from going to rusholm as both version seem to meet there but there's nothing visible outside the restaurant to guide you on the type "colour" of the food "madras" inside.

intersting observation on the bases. i used the rajver which i feel is at the "complex" end of spicing and it worked very well with this madras. contrary i think i actually liked it more than my own std madras. i intend to make the saffron base next (very similar to SnS's June base) and am now intrigued if this madras will taste as good with a "simple" spiced base.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Hmmm.., I tried this with the SnS June base and didn't get on with it very well atall. Although, for some reason I don't think this is my greatest batch. I thought when making it that this would go really well with the Rajver, which already tastes like curry.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I'm with you on this JerryM, that there are a red and brown version of the Madras. Having never been to a BIR futher North than Northampton, I'm keen to know what they're like further up country. It seems to me that those north of the boarder prefer a sweeter curry and was wondering whether that applied to the Madras as well?. Here on the Isle of Wight, Madras's vary from restaurant to restaurant.

One further observation on yesterdays Madras is that the use of Garam Masala in SnS Madras seemed to come through to much. Whether this was the fact that I was using Kris Dhillons for the first time,  whereas before I had used Pat Chapmans. Another reason it could be that my pinch was larger than usual.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:56 PM »
qprbob,

i've not tried BIR in the south. i'm from near brum originally and have BIR travelled mainly to the west and as far north as carlisle. i've ventured across our boarder "the pennies" a couple of times and was not impressed witht curry - very different to what i'm used to.

i would say i would go for a sweeter curry but not sure on what a national map would look like - i'd probably go for pockets around specific areas.

i too find the variation immense.

given BB's comment i now expect to get the same outcome when i make CK's madras with the saffron base - i was probably spoiled hitting it with the best "type" of base on the 1st go. 

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I think this madras will ultimately depend on how good your base is because of no extra spicing, for me it is just right I spent years trying different madras recipes and this is as close as I can get. 

The chopped coriander is more of my own thing as that's how I like it so maybe drop that out if don't feel the need for it.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 07:45 PM »
CK - which base do you use, or if its your own describe what's in it (better yet post it  ;D )

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 10:32 PM »
CK I would also be interested in the base that you used in your first attempt.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Could someone please point me in the right direction for the Rajver Base. Ive seen it in a post , but is there a post with set out as a list format that makes it easier for printing off.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 03:12 AM »
Could someone please point me in the right direction for the Rajver Base. Ive seen it in a post , but is there a post with set out as a list format that makes it easier for printing off.
Thanks in advance.

I think the following is as good as it gets (format wise) qprb:

1) Rajver vindaloo sauce:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2041.0

2) Rajver curry base recipe ("revisited"): http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=720.0

3) Rajver curry gravy ("revisited"): http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1175.0

4) Rajver recipe for onion gravy: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=278.0

Heaven knows which is the one people refer to, it has always confused me!  :P

Perhaps Gary could work with a moderator to clean up and clarify things?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 03:24 AM »
Good point CA.

I've always wanted to try the Rajver base. Some rate it highly.

Problem is navigating that damn thread.

©2024 Curry Recipes