Author Topic: chicken vindaloo form Rajver  (Read 25067 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
chicken vindaloo form Rajver
« on: May 17, 2005, 07:16 PM »
hi guys & girls as promised here is the recipe from Rajver in Biddenden

1 portion chicken ( precooked)
4 tbsp veg oil
3-4 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp restaurant masala (petes' or bruces')
2-3 tsp tomato paste (puree is fine but use 1 1/2 tsp with a little water works fine though)
1/2 -3/4 tsp salt
2-3tbsp fresh coriander
good squirt lemon juice
3-4 ladles rajver onion gravy
1 portion if precooked potato(part boiled for 10 mins drain place in veg oil & 1tbsp restaurant masala cook in oven for 10-15 mins or until you can pierce potato and it falls off the fork)

heat the veg oil to medium-high until oil hot but not smoking, remove pan from heat add the salt, restaurant masala, chilli powder and tomato paste. return to heat mix well it will spit, stir-fry for 30 seconds but do not let burn. add 1 ladle of gravy mix well stir-fry  evaporating down. add 2 more ladles of gravy mix in well cook for 2-3 miniutes. squirt in lemon juice mix in allow 30 seconds before adding chicken. ( you can add another ladle of gravy if to thick)cook for 4-5 minutes then add precooked potato heat through for 2-3 minutes then add 1 tbsp of the coriander. cook for a further 2-3 minutes. remove from heat and serve garnished with other tbsp of coriander. :)

for those chilli heads chicken phall just add 1-2 tbsp finely chopped onion fry for 2-3 mins on high heat add 4-5 tsp chilli powder ( or fresh chillies finely chopped) if using fresh chillies add 30 seconds after onion. add 1 ladle of onion gravy mix well cook  evaporating  down for 3-4 minutes.add 2-3 ladles onion gravy cook for 2-3 minutes then add chicken. heat through and serve ;D

sorry cq i know you wanted to cook for weekend :-[

anyway i hope you will at least try this. gonna try a chilli masala on friday night so fingers crossed.will post results  ;D asap

enjoy
regards gary :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: chicken vindaloo form Rajver
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 07:22 PM »
Nice one, very similar to the one i was shown except there was G&G puree added first and no lemon juice.  Il give this a go and let you know how it comes out.

Cheers
cK

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I like the term 'restaurant masala'. This is the firtst time i've noticed it being used.  It really summs up the 'spice mix' we add at final cooking time - it's neither garam masala nor curry powder. I tend to use Bruce's, so from now on I'll refer to that as 'restaurant masala".

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 03:24 PM »
hi guys & girls as promised here is the recipe from Rajver in Biddenden

1 portion chicken ( precooked)
4 tbsp veg oil
3-4 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp restaurant masala (petes' or bruces')
2-3 tsp tomato paste (puree is fine but use 1 1/2 tsp with a little water works fine though)
1/2 -3/4 tsp salt
2-3tbsp fresh coriander
good squirt lemon juice
3-4 ladles rajver onion gravy
1 portion if precooked potato(part boiled for 10 mins drain place in veg oil & 1tbsp restaurant masala cook in oven for 10-15 mins or until you can pierce potato and it falls off the fork)

heat the veg oil to medium-high until oil hot but not smoking, remove pan from heat add the salt, restaurant masala, chilli powder and tomato paste. return to heat mix well it will spit, stir-fry for 30 seconds but do not let burn. add 1 ladle of gravy mix well stir-fry? evaporating down. add 2 more ladles of gravy mix in well cook for 2-3 miniutes. squirt in lemon juice mix in allow 30 seconds before adding chicken. ( you can add another ladle of gravy if to thick)cook for 4-5 minutes then add precooked potato heat through for 2-3 minutes then add 1 tbsp of the coriander. cook for a further 2-3 minutes. remove from heat and serve garnished with other tbsp of coriander. :)

for those chilli heads chicken phall just add 1-2 tbsp finely chopped onion fry for 2-3 mins on high heat add 4-5 tsp chilli powder ( or fresh chillies finely chopped) if using fresh chillies add 30 seconds after onion. add 1 ladle of onion gravy mix well cook? evaporating? down for 3-4 minutes.add 2-3 ladles onion gravy cook for 2-3 minutes then add chicken. heat through and serve ;D

sorry cq i know you wanted to cook for weekend :-[

anyway i hope you will at least try this. gonna try a chilli masala on friday night so fingers crossed.will post results? ;D asap

enjoy
regards gary :)
sorry forgot to say you can add fresh coriander to the phall about 2 mins from the end of cooking ;D

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:30 PM »
I'd like to make the point that in this recipe - and it sounds like a good one, there are no unusual or so-called secret ingredients.  In fact in almost every recipe that comes up - even those directly from BIR's, the ingredients are the virtually the same as what we first started with.  We've moved on, in experience and technique, but the ingredients are still basically the same.

I posted about 2 months ago categorically stating that there are no secret ingredients in BIR curry, it looks like it's been proved to be correct(although some people didn't seem to like what I said).

I'm not trying to make me sound clever(because I'm not), it's just that I knew for certain then, and I'm even more certain now.

The quicker people forget - msg, mollases, ketchup, worcester sauce, OMG, and crack on with using only what BIR's use i.e. everything that we use now, the quicker we will arrive at our goal.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:54 PM »
I think the only secret ingredient was chicken jelly that Pete found, and I dont think every BIR uses that

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:38 PM »
I think the only secret ingredient was chicken jelly that Pete found, and I dont think every BIR uses that
mark j i think you are right . just by chance whilst cleaning my pans the next afternoon( i had pre-coooked my chicken in sunflower oil,  restauarant masala, 3 cardamons (green) 3 cloves, 2 bay leaves, heated this lot in pan unti bubbling added the chicken stirred well turned down the heat covered with hot water put lid on simmered for 20 mins) well once i had extracted the chicken and left it overnight the (stock) as i emptied it away the smell hit me :) i had smelt this in a takeaway in ashford kent  called Nasrin. i remember  telling hom that i had i base sauce  what do you add to yours? he replie dd we just add chilli powder to make a vindaloo. i was having a chicken vindaloo that night  :D.   

regards
gary
ps just had chicken chilli masala deliver 1st time so will let you kow what i think soon ;)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 09:56 PM »
I add the liquid from precooking meat to my base sauce, not one for the veggies obviously  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes