Author Topic: MARTIN'S ASHOKA MADRAS  (Read 16976 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN'S ASHOKA MADRAS
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04 PM »

Just picture that turned into a Biryani. People could just grab a massive naan and jump right in!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Just picture that turned into a Biryani. People could just grab a massive naan and jump right in!

FCUK the Naan, show me the diving board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D lol

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Tried this the other day (Wednesday) and must admit the smell was lovely but the taste (with no chicken in) wasnt that impressive very oily and no texture at all, but left it for about 3 hours to cool having already cooked the sauce for a good 2 hours. Having put raw chicken in and cooked again until chicken was cooked (about 30-45 mins), shared this with some friends (which they all loved) with naan breads and chapatti and it was absolutely  wonderful a very full bodied taste and excellent texture this is a must have recipe for anybody liking a full rich tasting madras.
A lot of work preparing the Bunjara and garlic/ginger paste but this is well worth the effort, if you havent tried this recipe yet you are missing out.
Martin cheers for posting this recipe.
10/10 Excellent.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Used the bunjara and garlic/ginger paste and then used this recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0
Cooked the ginger/garlic paste first until it just starts to bubble then added the bunjara and raw chicken stirring all the time and making sure the chicken was coated with the mix, once chicken was sealed (white on all sides) i added the madras recipe to the pan and cooked until the chicken was cooked about 10 mins or so on a low to medium heat.
(This came from a friend that i gave the two different madras recipes to and he came up with this).
What a taste explosion absolutely excellent, this has to be tried.
Dont know if anybody else has tried this if so sorry for double posting.
But i have to add please give this a go.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14 AM »
i have tried darth's base and was extremely dissapointed to be honest - tried the bunjarra and GG mix ages ago - very nice with the ashoka recipes  ;D

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Hi gazman you have to give this a go. It suprised me how tastey it was, reminded me of a mid 80's madras.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 11:43 AM »
did you use darths base and madras recipe?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I've missed this thread before and I am delighted The Ashoka recipes are back in folks awareness. I have travelled extensively around the British Isles and much further afield with my work and have eaten Curry everywhere I have been with only the odd exception. Unless you have travelled you Wont really be aware of regional differences but they do exist. The comment above about small portions extends to Chapatis and Nans in particular when you are used to Glasgow portions. Size in this case is everything. Bunjarra and the G/G Paste were the missing secret in my search for Glasgow BIR duplication. Without following the recipes to the full you won't know why it is as close as we can get at home to perfection for Glasgow tastes and smells. 4/5 Years ago there was a hotly debated thread about an Onion Paste type secret that when I tried it it got me almost there but many of the posters back then didn't get it. It convinced me then that Regional variation is a real and relevant matterand an onion paste would be where I would find the hidden secret and with Bunjarra I did. For the record Deep Fried Mars Bars and other myths about Scotland are just that. Just because Rab C wore a dirty string vest doesn't mean we all do and very few people will wear a kilt on a daily basis. Glasgow has a wide range of Indian Restaurant's and increasingly are raising the excellent standards to an even higher level. I have found when entertaining English friends and business associates in the city to curry they are genuinely amazed at the quality of the entire experience especially the liberal helpings and range of options on the menu. To be honest life is too short and once you have found the taste and smell you are looking for like I have with The Ashoka recipes it's hard to break away to cook anything else.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27 PM »

FCUK the Naan, show me the diving board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D lol

Do we really need the same photo displayed twice within a few inches, or anywhere?
Perhaps we need a forum editor. Also why use 4 letter words, thinly disguised? Do we want the forum to drop down to that level of the gutter?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Yes gaz i did, i made the 100% madras clone recipe all three stages but omitting the chicken but still added the chicken stock (homemade) instead of the chicken water as stated in the recipe. Whether its the chicken stock that added that extra flavour i dont know but it was delicious.

©2024 Curry Recipes