Author Topic: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived  (Read 19861 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Hi

Kashmiri Mirch can be used for heat too: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5672.msg56193#msg56193

However, its packet description (http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html) is:

Exotic Kashmiri Chilli Powder (Mirch) is a special blend of medium quality Red Pepper that is used for Tandoori (Clay oven) preparations. When used in curry it imparts bright red colour making food more appealing and palatable. It is added to marinade for marinating and to frying onions along with chopped tomatoes while preparing curries.

Cheers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 02:18 PM »
So now I'm getting confused here according to your recipe
?1 teaspoon MDH Kashmiri Mirch (for colour)
?1 teaspoon MDH Degghi Mirch (for heat)
the degghi is for heat ::)

Oh, I agree.  I added it for colour; but when I did the wet-finger test, I also found it to be seriously hot !
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:04 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 03:01 PM »
So now I'm getting confused here according to your recipe
?1 teaspoon MDH Kashmiri Mirch (for colour)
?1 teaspoon MDH Degghi Mirch (for heat)
the degghi is for heat ::)
Oh, I agree.  I added it for colour; but when I did the wet-finger test, I also found it to be seriously hot !

So would you still add both spices to a recipe? I don't see the point if one spice will do the job of 2 :-\

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04 PM »
So would you still add both spices to a recipe? I don't see the point if one spice will do the job of 2 :-\

Next time, yes, because it worked and was so good.  At some point in the future, probably not : double up on each in turn and compare.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:05 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 01:23 PM »
phil, good post this one. i will try this recipe soon.  kd1 base is so good for madras. i like your thinking.
I made a stunning madras with kd1 base recently. i chopped 3 whole raw chicken breasts up into chunks, and added that to the final madras during cooking. i then removed half of the chicken chunks for the next day. the result was a really moorish madras sauce with a near perfect subtle chicken taste.  The chicken released a nice savoury  flavour to the madras sauce.  complimenting the lemon juice and fresh coriander . The next day it tasted even better, with a very bir style savoury taste. 

phil, try this with your madras recipe, i have a feeling you wont be disapointed !

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 04:33 PM »
phil, try this with your madras recipe, i have a feeling you wont be disappointed !
Good idea, Derek : I shall definitely give this a try.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes