Author Topic: Blind taste test - Chewy's Madras versus local BIR Madras  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Blind taste test - Chewy's Madras versus local BIR Madras
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40 PM »
SD I like the idea of a blind tasting. I think it's a great way of benchmarking your curries and must try this sometime soon.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 03:46 PM »
SD I like the idea of a blind tasting. I think it's a great way of benchmarking your curries and must try this sometime soon.

It is indeed, as it takes you and your cooking/spice assaulted senses out of the equation. I'm confident that the 'missing 5%' people talk about here is almost entirely down to sensory overload, and getting other people to do a genuine blind taste is a great way of getting some 'real world' feedback.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Your right there SD
I also think its a little bit of when cooking curries all day for a group of friends
you don't appreciate what you've made. My wife took some of my curries out of the freezer the other day
so no cooking involved and I thought these are bloody good  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:01 PM »
SD I think you may have a point there though tbh I've never actually embraced the missing 5% concept. However I think a curry v curry blind tasting comparison provides an opportunity to see close we can get. My g/f loved the idea and we are gonna take turns in doing a blind tasting of a Madras.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing that SD.

I was never a HUGE fan of really hot curries, but Chewy's Madras is among my favourites that I cook up. It's always a challenge for me, but so addictive, i keep going back for more. ( I must be toughening up.HA!)

We had an Anzac DayBBQ at a friends place yesterday. he asked me to bring a couple of curries down for yet more people to try.....and guess what? Chewys Madras was the most popular. The intersting thing was that there were a few Aussies there too. This is the first time that an Australian (born and bred) has tried my curries, and they were seriously impressed.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. THANK YOU people for sharing this knowledge. :)

Hi Mick,

I have to admit that in the past 5 or so years my chili tolerance has depleted somewhat and I now opt for a milder curry. However, (for me personally) I believe that it's the taste in the curry and not necessarily the heat that needs to "define" a dish.

Nowadays, as opposed to years gone by, when you ordered a Madras, it came out from the Kitchen as a standard, and you had that dish, no matter how hot it was and you ate it.

In today's Indian restaurants, when ordering, a lot of waiters ask you, "How hot would you like that?"

So, I believe that a Madras and other dishes can be produced for their individual taste and adjust the heat level to suit the individual...

Whereas, anything above a Madras, i.e. a Vindaloo/Phal/Berkshire Fire Eater clearly has a label stamped on it and is for the asbestos stomach's amongst us in this forum and elsewhere!!  ;D ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53 PM »
I also have to say that my eldest daughter, a Korma Eater!! :( will not order a Korma anymore from where she lives as she can now produce a better one herself....

We can only thank this forum for that :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I also have to say that my eldest daughter, a Korma Eater!! :( will not order a Korma anymore from where she lives as she can now produce a better one herself....

We can only thank this forum for that :)

Hear hear!!!

©2024 Curry Recipes