Author Topic: MIx Powder/Spices - Quantity in relation to Base gravy  (Read 9437 times)

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
MIx Powder/Spices - Quantity in relation to Base gravy
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Howdy folks and fellow curry fans!

A bit of a question here which I would like to get some views on, relating to spices per base in curries.

After some years working on the base and spice mix I now have (I think) all the pieces together and have mastered my final version, my spice mix (or mix powder) is nearly finalised but Im now playing around with quantities:

What do you guys think is the average ml of base needed for (lets say a restaurant Chicken Madras as thats my main) and how much mix powder is put in relation to it.

i.e. 450ml base = 2tsn mix powder etc

Before anybody says, I know different bases have more spices in than others but theyre all probably not that far apart.

The main difference to me is the difference between restaurant and takeaway curries, I make a restaurant style which is lightly spiced but sweet and rich wheras a takeaway version is much more "spicier" with loads more sauce but not as "moreish"

Your comments would be appreciated

Davee b

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: MIx Powder/Spices - Quantity in relation to Base gravy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:36 PM »
daveeb

I'm sure you will get a variety of replies to this question. In terms of making curries with the Taz Base and Bruce Edward's spice mix, which is the combination that I have used mostly, for a Madras I would use 1 tsp spice mix (and also 2 tsp chilli powder) to 400ml of spice base which is added in two stages. By the time the base is reduced I guess I would have 250 ml of sauce in the curry.

Hopes this helps.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Hi Dave

I use around 200ml of base which I thin with equal qty of water to 400ml total, making a fairly thin soup consistency (in the base sauce pan). Then I cook my curry all the time on full power (electric hob setting 6 of 6) so it reduces down to the right final consistency. I find this allows me to cook for around 5 after I add the last of the base and then the consistency of the sauce is right just as the oil starts to separate.

Mix powder - well I've always used 2 level tsp because so many recipes around these parts seem to specify around this level. But now I'm wondering if more powder, maybe a level tbs, would give more flavour.

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:49 AM »
daveeb

I'm sure you will get a variety of replies to this question. In terms of making curries with the Taz Base and Bruce Edward's spice mix,

Stephen, not wishing to detract from the topic here but I am intending to try this combination.

After reading all 12 pages regarding Taz's base probably a few times over just to make sure I've taken it all in I went on to the next stage, Bruce Edward's spice mix.

The search took me here which completely has done my head in tonight (overload ::)) to find there are two versions of it, please help me out and tell me which one you use as I can't face doing anymore research as it's getting on for 1am.
If you could please help me out it would be much appreciated!
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4005.msg36283;topicseen#msg36283
PS, sorry this would have been more suited sent to your Madras posting :'(... It's getting late!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49 AM »
This is Bruce's spice mix that I use:

Coriander / Turmeric / Cumin / Curry Powder 8:7:5:4 parts by volume

I don't add the Paprika which is optional. Of course you can use many of the spice mixes you'll find in the forum - a lot of them a very similar.

There is also a Taz spice mix which I don't use but you can see the similarities:

8 parts or 40 grams of Turmeric
5 parts or 25 grams of Coriander
4 parts or 20 grams of Mild Madras Curry Powder (Mine was Rajah)
4 parts or 20 grams of Cumin
3 parts or 15 grams of Paprika

Hope this helps!

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Pure and simple and to the point.
Thanks very much.

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Thanks, still seems to vary between people.

I used to use about 1 tblspn per curry which seems to be what most are doing on here but found it over spices the curry.

I now stick with one tspn per curry but omitted paprika and most of the Haldi and I think my curry is now good enough to call a BIR curry!!

Just the chips to perfect and thats me done!

cheers

Offline skronk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:46 PM »
Up to this point being a relative newbie I have used

BE's
Razors
CA's

No disrespect to anyone else, just have not got there yet !

Not a great deal of difference I find....all first class, but I find when asked for a Tsp. I put in a Dsp.

Does make a difference. Larger, more whole flavour.

Missus likes rice and I like naan or chapati so I make this with 500ml base sauce. The rice sucks it up  !!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20 PM »
I wouldn't expect to add more than a tbsp of spice (combination of mix powder, chilli powder, tandoori powder), unless i am making a vindaloo or hotter.  In this case I would probably be looking to add a good tbsp of chilli or more to one tsp of mix powder.  At the end of the day, it's all about personal taste and preference and getting the flavour YOU want.  There are no hard and fast rules.

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Hi there, just an update as Ive found my answer

I spent a few hours in a takeaway last week and found out a few gems...

One of them was that he put 2 tspns if mix powder in a takeaway portion size of madras, however there was a tspn of red massala paste in there too!!

Just thought Id let you know

daveeb

©2024 Curry Recipes