Author Topic: What Pan  (Read 34959 times)

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
What Pan
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:44 AM »
After watching loads of videos posted here and on the tube, just wondered where and what type of frying pan to buy, anyone know where I can get them?

TC

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: What Pan
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I think so much will depend on what sort of cooker you are planning to use your new pan(s) with.  We have a ceramic hob and induction hob, so we need flat-bottomed pans that are unlikely to scratch the ceramic hob if accidentally slid (and of course the pans for the induction hob need a steel base); we use mainly non-stick, but that means we must use teflon or wooden tools.  If, on the other hand, we were using a gas range, we would use a round-bottomed carbon-steel Chinese wok, and could then use stainless steel implements in it with impunity.

Incidentally, my preferred pan for use on the ceramic hob is a flat-bottomed, wok-like, Tefal(R) pan with Durabase(R) Technology base and Thermo-Spot(R) temperature indicator, base diameter 140mm, top diameter 290mm, height 75mm, purchased from Macro.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:03 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:25 AM »
The pans commonly seen being used in the BIR kitchens are generally Omelette pans. These do vary but you can find them on most catering site Nisbets is a widely used industry supplier.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:45 PM by Axe »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Hi

Here you go: Meyer Commercialware Aluminium HT+ Open French Skillet Frying Pan, 26 cm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyer-Commercialware-Aluminium-French-Skillet/dp/B001L1RGM2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FI1DC93XQBR2&colid=2LJ8E417JXPPL

All the best

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46 AM »

Here you go: Meyer Commercialware Aluminium HT+ Open French Skillet Frying Pan, 26

This is what I use. Good pan.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Hi Ramirez

Yes, they are fantastic curry pans :)

Well worth reading Phil's post above thoroughly too though, as they may not be suitable for all types of cooker. I only have gas so cannot comment further on suitability with other types of hob.

Also, I know ChrisWG from this forum just bought the 28cm version of this pan and found it to be just a little too big.

The 26cm version seems to hit the perfect size sweet spot.

Cheers

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18 PM »
After watching loads of videos posted here and on the tube, just wondered where and what type of frying pan to buy, anyone know where I can get them?

TC
Hi TC
Solarsplace has pointed you in the right direction, spot on curry pan!

Thanks Solar as i've just ordered a 20cm version... ?8.95

I wouldn't buy higher than 26cm as in my experience they tend to tip and
fall off a domestic hob! i.e. the handle's are just way too long

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Thanks Guys,
Really useful info, think I'll opt for the Meyer as I've got a gas hob.
TC

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 02:20 PM »
I've been reading a few older threads as I've been exploring this site in the past week and there are a couple which might have something to add to the above recommendations.

Here and Here

The upshot is that aluminium is recommended, but does anyone know if the meyer aluminium pan that solarspace linked to is ok on a glass topped halogen hob?

©2024 Curry Recipes