Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor  (Read 31166 times)

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I usually cook a Madras and thought I would try something different. I was going to try Razor's Rogan Josh but I fancied something a little hotter. I have just cooked this Jalfrezi with Abdul's base and 8 Spice (planning on cooking some of Abdul's recipes soon) and am over the moon with the results.
I quite often buy a Jalfrezi from the local T/As and this was as good if not better. The onion paste gave a real depth of flavour but I think the base may need to be a little thinner next time.
Definitely recommend that people give this a go, I will keep cooking this from now on.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Hi Mads,

Thanks for trying it and glad you enjoyed it.  Using Abduls base and 8 spice is going to dramatically change the flavour from the spec recipe but the method is sound.

Cheers mate,

Ray :)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Quality recipe to spec Mads, but try it sometime with Rays Spice mix and chewys base :P

Alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Quality recipe to spec Mads, but try it sometime with Rays Spice mix and chewys base :P

Alan ;D

I totally agree ;D ;D ;D

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Will do guys. Chewy's is my preferred base anyway. I was just in an experimental mood where I wanted to try a new dish, recipe method and base. I will report back with comments when cooked with the preferred base.

Cheers

Nick

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D.  And who said it's got to be down to technique during cooking and little to do with the base?  My memory fails me.  Whilst i think technique can impact a dish i am a firm believer in finding the base that suits the chef.  We all have favourite dishes which we aspire to replicate and we compare our efforts against our favourite BIR's.  At the end of the day it's all down to one's own personal taste and ones experience of dishes from BIR's and TA's that one regularly uses which provide a yardstick of sorts.  This curry cooking lark is one huge Pandora's box :o.  But i am sure we'll all Curry on regardless :P.  Nice to see some positive feedback on Abdul's  base and spice mix used to make this dish.  Would be interesting to hear feed back of a side by side comparison - Abdul's vs Ray's spec ;).  Have put this dish on my radar Ray with whatever base and spice mix i have at the time, although your base is on the "to do" list.  Got to crack the North Indian Special first though :-\

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Hi CH,

I haven't tried to make this with Abduls base and spice, only my own and chewys.

My base releases a fair amount of oil during the reduction which I quite like but spoon off what you don't require.

Using chewy's base and my spice mix produces a sweeter version of my Jal Frezi, which is really nice.

I'm guessing it was probably me who made the comment about the base ;D ;D

I do still stand by that comment in some respects, however, I would like to add that, chewy's base is a very superior base to most and is going to enhance most if not all dishes made with it.

Can I make a suggestion CH, and I will do likewise?  If you decide to go ahead and make my base, leave the onions whole and boil until you can cut them with a spoon.  Then, pass the finished base through a sieve, to remove all the fibrous gunk.  These are the fundamental differences in chewy's base that make it stand out from the rest in my opinion.  I would love to see/hear if using this method improves on my own base.

Many thanks,

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 12:55 PM »

I'm guessing it was probably me who made the comment about the base ;D ;D

Hi Ray.  I think i have read in several threads by different people that they  believe that technique makes a huge difference and that it isn't a question of the  quality of the base used.  Not sure whether you share this view or not.  I am inclined to think otherwise although i could be persuaded if given hard tasty evidence :D.  My intention is to pitch 5 bases against one another with exactly the same ingredients and technique for one dish.  From that i should be able to draw some conclusions. If not, I'll have had a damn fine feast on curry with some left over for later ;D ;D.
I will be trying CT's 3 hour base as per spec, sieving as well :D.  From all accounts so far there seems to be some milage in cooking onions whole.
Will be interested in your comments re. your base made using whole onions.  CT's base is the next one to do followed by yours.  I am sure you'll be providing feedback and a revised Razor base if you believe it's warranted before i cook it up.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 01:02 PM »
HI CH,

I am sure you'll be providing feedback and a revised Razor base if you believe it's warranted before i cook it up.

I'm possitive that boiling the onions whole will improve the base.  CT's ingredients are not that different than many base recipe ingredients on here, but his method certainly is.  That and the sieving are the real 'stand out' differences with this base compared to others.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 03:18 PM »
I'm possitive that boiling the onions whole will improve the base

I can't say that I've found that at all Ray.  What would be the rationale for this (if that's not another "daft question" CT  ::))?

I would think that BIR would only do this to save chopping and, therefore, time?

That and the sieving are the real 'stand out' differences with this base compared to others

Do/did BIRs REALLY sieve the base??  I seriously doubt it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:46 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes