Author Topic: Takeaway/Restaurant Madras - That special something  (Read 18117 times)

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Takeaway/Restaurant Madras - That special something
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:53 AM »

Hi folks, I`m new on here but have been reading your posts for a while now having been trying to emulate the good stuff for more years than I care to remember!

My own madras is really close and probably like a lot of you guys, when someone else has it they are amazed how much it`s like a restaurant one etc...

However, I think it still lacks that moorishness...

If I can I would like any ideas you may have!!

When I have mine the first half of it is fine but then I become bored with it, it seems to become a bit blandish but doesn?t taste so at the beginning.

I bought a takeaway over Xmas and it was perfect, no bits ? just sauce and chicken, kept going back to it all night and in the morning was left with a bit in the tray.

I made my own the next day using my own base and spice mix and at the end I tried to make them the same i.e. same saltiness, same sweetness, same amount of fresh coriander taste, heat etc etc

The tastes were almost identical and hard to tell apart, but the same thing happened while eating ? half way through I got a bit bored with it again???? Why???? It tasted the same at the start.

The only difference I would say is I don?t use as much oil (2 tspns for a takeaway tray portion of base)

My Madras is basically Undercover curry style base and Dipurajas madras method with a slight difference in spice ratio ? I fry them more first, method for precook chicken is different and I don?t go heavy on the Methi)

Has anyone experimented with oil levels?? Is MSG or Onion puree an idea?? More or less Turmeric??? Could it be I?m a bit too used to my own???

I?m going to experiment over the coming weeks but beforehand any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Daveeb

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Takeaway/Restaurant Madras - That special something
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:22 PM »
The only difference I would say is I don?t use as much oil (2 tspns for a takeaway tray portion of base)

IMHO, Dave, herein lies the problem.  I really think you need to very significantly increase the amount of oil to at least 5 tablespoonsful, then if you don't like seeing or eating the oil, pour most of it back into a basin just before serving for reuse next time.

If I reheat (or re-spice) a T/A curry, I find it is enormously improved by ensuring that it cooks in an excess of oil which I can then pour off for another day.

** Phil.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32 PM »
i would try adding a little bunjarra near the end of cooking - taste fab on its own and it might just get you where you want to be

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Hi Dave,

Well done on your first post :)

Welcome to the barmy world of BIR style curries.  I too have experienced this, and never really found a solution as such but, like any TA, if you keep eating their food on a regular basis, you tend to acquire the taste of it.  I now, think the same of my own curries.  I've been eating them for so long, that, if I try somewhere new, I'm often disappointed.

However, my regular TA, beats my curries hands down, and yet, it didn't when I first started ordering from them.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  We are all too critical of our own food, and often expect more than we should.  My friends and family, like yours, always say without fail, that my curries are far better than their regular TA or BIR.  They often ask me to cook them a curry and are more than willing to offer me the full TA or BIR price for it, and yet, I often feel that they are lacking something.

Stick with it Dave, have faith, and I'm sure that you will find the taste that you believe you are missing  (and when you do, let me know what it is mukka ;D)

Ray :)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Hi Dave

I to experience the same, my currys taste almost there but does'nt seem moorish like my local TA's , i cook for friends and most say my curry is better than anything they have tried from restaurants, there main comments are that the curry taste much more fresher and i do agree with that (fresher) but im still missing that special something i believe, maybe its precooking more ingredients or maybe the curry is good but my taste buds are expecting more, probally all in my head.

i had the best TA curry very recently it was awesome tasted a bit salty but fantastic, infact after eating i drank a pint of water , i wonder how much salt is actually used in TA'S and how much salt contributes to the taste.

atb Fishy

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37 PM »
thanks for the replies so far

I will try using the extra oil tomorrow and see what happens, i dont like the whole oil slick thing but i will scoop it off at the end as phil says

GM - i dont know what bunjarra is or where to get it so i cant try that one

if anyone comes up with any more ideas please post

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23 PM »
not had this myself and a tad stumped - i find the opposite - curry gets better for over a short period after cooking then stays same till it's all gone.

only thought jumping out perhaps is the dish is getting cold.

ps it's not the oil either. i was taken a back over new year at my fav BIR in the midlands - no oil at all. they have been developing their dishes for quite a while but this latest change is a real eye opener. had the garlic chilli bahar vindaloo hot - to die for.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27 PM »
i was taken a back over new year at my fav BIR in the midlands - no oil at all.
No oil ?  NO OIL ???  You'll be telling us next it was bright yellow, tasted of raw curry powder, and had sultanas and raisins floating in it  :o

** Phil  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Phil,

no. it really tasted every bit as good as it's always tasted (the place is the Dilshad).

i was honestly speechless. it was even more surprising that of the 9 people in our party no one else noticed the absence. i could not see all the dishes but at least 5 off had no oil at all. (2 off bahar, 1 off Korahi, 1 off garlic special, 1 off balti).

all with no oil - or at least none that you could see - on the surface or in the curry - i know it sounds impossible.

the only real giveaway was a hint of water in the bottom of the curries - like when something has been frozen.

i'm going to try a copy cat and also ask at my local TA to get their view too.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21 AM »
That seems to increasingly be the way of it up here, Jerry....most of the newer restaurants round our way are pushing the likes of madras, dopiaza et al down the menu usually under the heading "old school favourites" or suchlike in favour of new "healthier" authentic curries I've never heard of before.....the places that have madras etc as the "stars" are the same places that do pizza, kebabs and fried chicken. ??? If you want a greaseladen vindaloo, you've got to go a takeaway, not a restaurant. :-\

I had wondered if it has anything to do with the price of vegetable oil going up so much in recent years. Either that or curry is going upmarket lol

©2024 Curry Recipes