Author Topic: Saved by a Madras.....  (Read 4104 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Saved by a Madras.....
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:30 PM »
I was so impressed with Whandsey's Pictures of his Chicken Tikka Vindaloo last night, that I wanted to make that today. Unfortunately, when I went to make the Tikka Marinade I found that I didn't have any "Pataks Tikka Curry Paste" left :( I alaways use blades recipe with a few twists of my own.

I thought for a while and then realised I had some "Pataks Madras Paste" which I had bought specifically for CH's Curry Puffs, but to date have forgotten to buy the Corned beef :(

Having seen Chewy's Madras video which is so similar to the way I make madras anyway, I thought I would make the same marinade as I would for a Tikka, but used the Madras paste instead, which in effect gave me a "Pre cooked Madras Chicken".

I then went on to make the madras as per Chewy's video,  but have to admit over the years my tolerance to chilli has changed, and I find it strange really. I found that using 1 tbsp of Kashmiri chilli powder did not give me the kick I would expect, so I also added 1 heaped tsp of Rajah extra hot chilli powder, and yet sometimes if I add this amount of chilli I get the hiccups for about 45 minutes... and as I like lemon so much in my madras I added an extra tsp of Lemon juice as well.

So, I ended up with a wonderful madras tonight, albeit I set out for a Vindaloo...  :)

Happy Days :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Saved by a Madras.....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:34 PM »
The texture of that sauce looks bang on!..not too oily & not too thick  :P

ELW

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Hi

I agree, it certainly looks the business!

Seems like a sucess from your post, can you share your verdict on the madras paste as a marinade?

Thanks!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Hi

Seems like a sucess from your post, can you share your verdict on the madras paste as a marinade?

Thanks!

Hi Solar,

It was really nice and made a good pre cooked chicken (madras style). However, next time I would leave out the tsp of garlic puree from the marinade as I found it just a little too much. But apart from that very nice indeed :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Nice looking bit of grub there 976 :P.  Am craving BIR already  and it's only 16 hours after a nice chicken balti phall strength at the Lal Akash in Cheam village, lovely little restaurant producing quality BIR

I thought for a while and then realised I had some "Pataks Madras Paste" which I had bought specifically for CH's Curry Puffs, but to date have forgotten to buy the Corned beef :(
Whilst i would love to take all the credit for flavoursome and popular curry puffs recipe delivered just at the right time for Xmas and the New Year, all credit must go to the true originator Madmatt.   Full credit for a simple to make but very tasty snack with a nice Indian twist ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:07 PM by curryhell »

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34 PM »
The texture of that sauce looks bang on!..not too oily & not too thick  :P

ELW

Hi 976

I agree with ELW's comments above, looks delicious. Good Effort!! ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Hi

Thanks!

Hi Solar,

It was really nice and made a good pre cooked chicken (madras style). However, next time I would leave out the tsp of garlic puree from the marinade as I found it just a little too much. But apart from that very nice indeed :)

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoy seeing your all your hard work and pictures - thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

All then best!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Hi

Thanks!

You're welcome and thank you.

I just have this passion for cooking, and if I think I have created something worthwhile then I will share it with everyone else.... Of course that is not alwyays the case though... :)

Hi Solar,

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoy seeing your all your hard work and pictures - thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

All then best!

©2024 Curry Recipes