Author Topic: My New Chicken Madras  (Read 9158 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
My New Chicken Madras
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Having had success with the Chicken Bhuna last week, I thought I would re-vamp my Madras along similar lines to the Bhuna, i.e. upping the garlic, using a different oil etc.

Anyways, it has turned out lovely and a real improvement on my previous madras's even though I did like my previous madras's.

Ingredients
Half an onion finely chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, very finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, very finely chopped
1 heaped tsp rajah hot madras curry powder
1 heaped tsp taz's spice mix
1 tsp rajah extra hot chili powder
1 tsp kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 3 tbsp water
A pinch of orange food colouring
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp black pepper
350ml taz's gravy (which I modified with the hot curry oil)
3 tbsp Chalice hot curry oil
Pre-cooked Chicken
1 tsp butter ghee

Method,
Heat the oil and ghee in a pan on a low to medium heat and add the onions, gently fry until soft and golden, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 2-3 minutes.

Add the spices and stir in for about 1 minute, then add the tomato puree and cook for a further minute.

Add the base sauce a ladle at a time and reduce until the oil starts to separate before adding another.

Add the chicken, lemon juice and black pepper and cook until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce is separating.

Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and a lemon wedge if desired.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My New Chicken Madras
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Sounds very interesting Bob, I'll give this a try using Abdul's base.

Offline rajesh1

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:29 AM »
wow the color is very good,and it seems to be very delicious.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50 AM »
How did I miss this one  :o:o.  That's a fine looking madras there 976.  How did i know it would contain Chalice oil ::) ;D.  When i eventually get my hands on some, i'll give it a go 8)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Hi 976bar

Great looking Madras there! - I like the way your recipes involve a few extra tweaks to take them up a notch from a bog standard madras etc.

I have tried your Bhuna recipe and that is excellent (have a picture that I need to post of it in the Bhuna thread too). I now add 3 star anise myself upped from your 1 - such a great taste but still quite subtle when removed early on.

Must get hold of some of that spiced oil and give your madras a bash too!

Cheers

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:13 PM »
How did I miss this one  :o:o.  That's a fine looking madras there 976.  How did i know it would contain Chalice oil ::) ;D.  When i eventually get my hands on some, i'll give it a go 8)

Curryhell just tracked some down.....Both Aldi and Lidls near Pitsea Market stock it....

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:11 PM »

Curryhell just tracked some down.....Both Aldi and Lidls near Pitsea Market stock it....

Good man jb :D :D :D.  I don't have to wait for Asda to e-mail me back now cos they certainly aint got any at Tilbury or Basildon >:(. I can feel  a trip to Pitsea coming on very soon then.  Was in Spice last night eating you know what and i'm pretty sure i'll be posting the final cut anytime soon.  All was revealed there on the plate 8)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Hi 976bar

Great looking Madras there! - I like the way your recipes involve a few extra tweaks to take them up a notch from a bog standard madras etc.

I have tried your Bhuna recipe and that is excellent (have a picture that I need to post of it in the Bhuna thread too). I now add 3 star anise myself upped from your 1 - such a great taste but still quite subtle when removed early on.

Must get hold of some of that spiced oil and give your madras a bash too!

Cheers

Hi Solarsplace,

I'm glad you liked the Bhuna, I hope you try the Madras.

After I had posted this, I looked at it again and thought, although this tasted like a Madras it looked more like a Bhuna. I think the next time I make this I might just puree the onions after cooking with a little base for that runny smooth consistency which is what you are more likely to get with a madras.

Yet another experiment to try out :)

I am getting low on the Calice Oil, so will have to start searching around my neck of the woods or yet another experiment to make my own :)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Well done jb, I have tried at our local Asian supermarkets to get this oil and they look at me as if I have got two heads ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:36 PM »
That looks tremendous 976

©2024 Curry Recipes