Poll

As a new member what deters you from posting? (poll started March 08)

Lack of cooking knowledge and fear of being classified a "newbie"
79 (21.4%)
Not sure how to confidently send postings on this forum (see 'How to Post' in this section)
78 (21.1%)
Nothing to say - quite happy reading  opinions from other members
81 (21.9%)
Don't wish to be an active member as I won't be visiting this forum regularly
2 (0.5%)
Would rather remain "in the background" but will visit regularly
92 (24.9%)
None of the above - please post your reasons
38 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Posting messages as a new member?  (Read 94199 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Posting messages as a new member?
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:38 PM »
There are over 4,600 members registered to this forum.

Having eaten and cooked curries since my teens (back in the days of Slade & TREX), I believe this to be the best curry forum available worldwide.

Everything about cooking BIR style curry can be found here. Any questions are invariably answered within minutes.

However ...

... I am a little concerned regarding the lack of postings from new members and would like to understand why this is so ... hence the poll.

Regards
SnS  ;D

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Posting messages as a new member?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:03 PM »

back in the days of Slade & TREX
Noob  :P

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:00 AM »
SnS, I've been a member here for a year and glad to say I'm a n00b and always will be :) I think basically it comes down to just how passionate about BIR curries a person is, this place is fairly technical, which is great if you're a curryholic, but there's not alot to post about once you've said whether you like or dislike a recipe as most questions have been asked and answered many times already on the board, so newbs don't actually need to post. I think all that this place needs is a bit of banter (I know not alot of people might not like it, but it does help newbies to become integrated into a forum.... :-\ )

Just mho ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:02 PM by smokenspices »

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I am a noob and my reason for not posting much is its a whole lot to take in.  As and when I try out the recipes I will and have posted, but to me its a confidence thing, i.e I haven't got a clue what you are talking about with the spices, techniques, reclaiming oil etc ???, it is all new and fascinating to me so I am spending most of my time reading and trying to take it in.  When you were making curries listening to Slade I was eating Vesta currys ;D.  It is a great site and i will be around for years to come.  Each recipe I have tried so far has been fantastic, even with my lack of skills, and a few ingredients which I am still on the look out for.

Cheers

Will

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Posted by Mikka

Great post.
I'm one of those that likes to talk, (too much sometimes). But I feel community is everything and getting more people involved creates more interest and thus creates more people trying different recipes out.

I agree Sns. this is by far the very best curry forum anywhere in the world let alone the Internet dedicated to this subject. I hope everyone realizes my words are never light, I do mean that.   I've learned a bundle from this place which has lead to me asking questions locally too and this relates to your initial poll.

It's simple. Get involved and learn. I did, anyone else can too.
Anyone can cook provided they follow the basic principles after which time its really up to them about taste and such..

Again great poll, idea and post.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:17 AM »
New members:  Please post your introduction here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=9.0

(click on "new topic", at the top right hand side of the page, to create a new thread)

Thanks,

Offline lee74

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Hello all, joined along time ago but didn't know how to make my way round this site, so giving it a go now, so thought I'd say hello to every one....hello. Think its still on the wrong thread though so sorry. Should imagine it should be on the thread..just joined introduce yourself, but it doesn't have REPLY at the top for me to post only...

* Mark Read
    * Notify
    * Post new poll

so sorry again ladies and gentleman

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Hi Lee74,

Welcome to cr0. 

If you go back to the main menu, and click on the section 'Just joined?introduce yourself'
you will notice a tab to the right, that says 'New Topic'  Just click that, and a window will open up for you to introduce yourself, explain what you hope to achieve, whatever you like really.

I would suggest that you give this a go.  That way, more members  will be aware of you and will be able to offer you help and advice.

Hope this helps matey :)

Ray :)

Offline gimproviser

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:28 PM »
I am not familiar with forums and at my age find it difficult (impossible ?) to understand all the jargon !  I wanted to 'introduce' myself, but although your site encourages a new member to do so there seems to be no clear instruction how to do this !! Maybe I'm just beyond it ?
Best regards,
gimproviser

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Seems so gimproviser!  ;)

77, hey!, not bad going at all!  8)

Please check 3 posts above!

Quote from:  CA
New members:  Please post your introduction here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=9.0

(click on "new topic", at the top right hand side of the page, to create a new thread)

You can send me a personal message, if you like (doh!) and I will gladly assist you with posting your introduction....... :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:55 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes