Author Topic: Madras Sauce Video Recipe  (Read 72586 times)

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Sauce Video Recipe
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Salvador Dhali

I know what you mean already about exposure and wanting more of it, thinking now what to put it in it as it was nice and the smell after was looming for ages in a nice way. :) Some hot pot stew should be lovely.

Thanks for the warning.

chewytikka

Going to be doing your Madras to spec next but my local grocery only has Deggi Mirch by MDH which I believe is still kashmiri. I was reading how you can't find it (deggi mirch) but here we have 400g 100g boxes to choose from. Should be a decent substitute until I can find Kashmiri or get them to pick me some up?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:51 PM by harley »

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Hi Chewy,
                 I can't thank you enough for this recipe. Tonight I made a prawn madras, using your base gravy, and it took me right back to the late 70's. This was one of the first dishes I had in a BIR and I really didn't think I would be able to replicate anything like it.
I used bog standard chilli powder so I reckon I could maybe improve it next time by using Kashmiri chilli powder.

Thanks a million.

I tried to post a picture but it wouldn't let me.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Hi GA
Nice one!
Kashmiri Mirch is just my quirk, as I've grown to obsess on the flavour.
Ordinary chilli powder works fine, as you say.

Glad you got good results and thanks for the feedback.
cheers Chewy ;)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Hi chaps.  Is there another link for CTs madras vid anywhere?  I cant get the one in the first post to run.

Cheers

Rob  :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2012, 12:43 PM »
here you go Rob http://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos
all chewys vids.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Thanks Chris

George might put this link on the first page
watch it here Madras Sauce

cheers Chewy

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Thanks Chris

George might put this link on the first page
watch it here Madras Sauce

cheers Chewy

Blimey Chewy, what happened to the pan?

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  Brilliant vids Chewy. Made some last madras sauce last night.  Result!  I will post a pic in the piccy section.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Seemed to have difficulty posting the link for Chewys vid in the piccy section so will post again here.

Very happy!  I followed the recipe exactly to spec (with c2go bangla base).  Came out looking spot on, but as usual for me not much oil separation.  To be honest I have always struggled to get this, and the flocculated appearance like what you get from some TA saucey dishes; madras, vindaloo, etc.  I am sure its my halogen hob.  Difficult to control and up high all of the sauce splatters out of a standard ally chefs pan.  So I have been keeping the heat down. Until now!  Followed Cheweys vid and put a glass vented lid (from a saute pan) on top.  It didnt fit well, too small, so ended up transferring the sauce to the saute pan itself.  Put the lid on and cranked up the heat. 

Some serious bubbling happened quickly.  In a minute or so I was amazed to see the oil separating; not just a little either.  I could not stop watching it.  After perhaps 6 mins or so I turned off the heat and took off the lid to have a proper look.  The steam had been venting through the hole like a good un, but had expected to find there had been little in the way of reduction; next problem. But no. At about 50 percent I had actually overdone the reduction!  On pouring the sauce into a tray it dawned on me that this was like a new beginning for my home curry cooking.  This sauce is the nearest think to TA BIR I have made.  In fact, its better than many. The taste was just unbelievable, and that aroma!   A big breakthrough for me.  Already looking for an ally pan to fit the lid, or vice versa. Thanks again CR0, and especially Chewy.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Gotta say, looks great.    :o

©2024 Curry Recipes