Author Topic: Dhansak  (Read 18882 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dhansak
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Cool! its a good recipe if your low on curry gravy as it only uses half the amount. I think you are right the lemon juice is more accurate but I must admit I like to see lemon wedges in my curries  ;D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 07:37 AM »
I believe a lot of Dhansaks have a sweet taste, I have started adding 2 TSP sugar to mine

Offline Fandango

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 10:08 AM »
Mark

Nice job mate. I made this last saturday and it's the best Dansak I've ever knocked up and by far the closest to the real BIR version

So good that I may have to have it again tonight!

\F

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Glad it worked for you mate (did you add the sugar, I think the sugar is essential now), I think the advantage of dishes like dhansak is they are more likely to turn out right because they are composed of many different flavours so if your base isn't quite right the dhansak can still be very good.

Compare that to say a vindaloo and you've very little room to maneuver if your base isn't quite right as the base makes up a large % of the final dish in terms of volume and flavour.

Offline Fandango

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Yes I used the sugar.  I think it needs to be a little sweet and sour. I used the curryking base and it worked nicely.

Just cooking the chicken now...hmmm cant wait!
\F

Offline Wasp

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 07:09 AM »
I agree, excellent dhansak recipe. I doubled it up, used Darth's base and watered down tom puree instead of passata. It was delicious.

Thanks for posting - I'll definitely cook this again.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I make KDs Dansak with a couple of wee changes:

I precooked the meat in a couple of tbs oil, half a chopped onion, 2 tbs of curry base (I use KD but with home made chicken stock in place of water), and 1 lev (5ml) tps of Bruce Edwards 'mark 2' curry 'powder'. I give it about 45 mins, covered, giving it a splash of water every 15 mins or so to stop it drying out completely.

ThenI follow the KD instructions except I add 1/4 lev tps ground dried methi leaf powder, and I cook in the cummin for 5 mins instead of adding it at the end.  I do not use garam masalla in this dish as I don't think it works.  (I am, however a great fan of Garam in other dishes: it's great in her Bhuna- which actaully tasted far more like a Jalfrezi to me!!).

The result was REALLY good!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, I also add 3/4 lev tps ofmuscavardo sugar!

Offline Mooelga

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 12:11 PM »
I made this last night... was really good. Only alteration was adding some sugar and using limes instead of lemons. Really good recipe and it tasted like Dhansak from BIR  ;D Well done!

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Hi Newbie on here.

Can't believe how old this thread is.

Anyway, was looking for a new Dhansak recipe and thought I'd try this one.

Well just made it and it must say it was delicious. ;D

Followed it to the letter, although I did add half a tin of pineapple (chopped) and it's juice for the sweetness, as is found in my fav local restaurant.
Oh, and I added a chopped fresh red chilli too, as I had one left, instead of adding more my chilli powder which isn't that hot.

Didn't notice it was pre-cooked onions, till I was just about to start ::), so did a quick cheat.
Sliced a small onion, put it in a lidded tub with a tbsp of base and a drizzle of oil, and then nuked it for about 3 to 4 mins in the microwave.
Hadn't done this before, but it seemed to work out fine, so might do the onions that way again.

Cheers
Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes