Author Topic: Madras Curry Sauce  (Read 2809 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Madras Curry Sauce
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:09 PM »
after starting off using parker21's recipe i've gathered various suggestions along the way (Adriandavib, CurryKing, Panpot).

there is a vast range of "madras" across the BIR's and this may not suit everyone's taste buds. it's very tomatoey, garlicky that's as close as i've been able to get to the sauce i get from my fav TA. it seems to work pretty well with most bases.

2 tbsp veg oil (or more depending on preference, ideally reclaimed)
1 tsp green chilli paste (i use panpot's)
1.5 tbsp garlic/ginger paste (i use panpot's)
2 tbsp tom puree in 1/2 cup of water (for the emulsification ie 30ml in 60ml water)
1 tsp LB spice mix version 3 (any of the good ones could be used ie DD's but high proportion of paprika is key for me),
1 tsp rajah hot curry powder (the mild works almost as good)
1/4 tsp Tandoori Masala (i like TRS but rajah is very close)
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp onion paste (original or panpot's)
4 tbsp passata
2 tbsp chopped fresh "frozen" coriander
300 ml base

options i sometimes use:

1) replace green chilli paste with 1/4 tsp chilli powder (qty to suit)
2) replace garlic/ginger paste with 2 tbsp fine chopped garlic (lifted from parker21 and adds a real good slant)
3) add splash worcester sauce

cooking method is i think as most do. the only real important thing is to avoid any burning "(black debris) by taking off the heat, or adding the next lot of ingredient or adding base or water.

1) add the oil and fry the green chilli a little (typ 30 sec)
2) fry garlic/ginger paste until rawness has gone (30 secs)
3) pan off heat add tom puree, spice, salt, 75ml base and fry until emulsified (typ 60 secs)
4) add 225ml base, passata, onion paste, coriander and simmer 3 mins

any clarifications just ask.

if i add meat then i use panpots marinated chicken but par boil.

Offline windybum

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Curry Sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Sounds great..  i am using chinios recipe for madras at moment but will try this next time round.. is the TRS tandoori masala the barbecue mix? i will post my banjara photo as promised in next couple of days. Oh do you not use fenugreek leaves in this?

cheers

Windybum

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14 PM »
windybum,

TRS Tandoori Masala is the "Barbecue Ground Spice".

have tried fenugreek leaves "methi" in a whole host of dishes. i feel it's use in madras takes the taste away from BIR and i don't use it. i think it's well down to personal preference as i don't really gel with methi. i currently only use it in Bhuna and that's still questionable if i will continue using it. i appreciate others rave for it - it just doesn't do it for me. i am going to try out the fresh though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:16 AM »
a word of caution on the amount of tom puree.

i was aware already that the dish recipe can often need "tuning" to the base.

i used the rajver base last night (1st time for a while, it contains 1 tin of toms) and found the amount of tom puree in the curry sauce too much even for me.

i now believe if a base contains tomato then i would reduce the tom puree from 2 to 1 tbsp per portion.

©2024 Curry Recipes