Author Topic: chicken madras (my favourite so far)  (Read 18147 times)

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: chicken madras (my favourite so far)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Hi,
How would we like it if our posts were taken
and posted on other sites ?

Even if posted here in error please delete this thread,
as its the right thing to do  ;)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Whenever I read a "melting base" recipe it makes me laugh
I don't mean that horribly, I really find it very funny
How many bases did Andy invent, that were supposed to come from a "restaurant"
The only time I have seen a new base cooked at any place, is when they have a new chef

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:13 AM »
How would we like it if our posts were taken and posted on other sites ?
My honest answer, Graeme ?  I would not give a damn, so long as the person replicating it elsewhere did not claim authorship/ownership.  This site, like all similar sites, is about /sharing/, not hoarding : so long as proper acknowledgement is given, and that the site is not simply cloned but is selectively sampled, then I have no problem with recipes being posted elsewhere at all.  Let us please remember that there is a very great deal of recycled material already on this site, much of it taken from published books that are themselves subject to copyright : if we are going to start the night of the long knives and insist that one posting, by one new member, be removed from the site, then let's do the job properly and expunge /all/ copyright material lifted from elswhere.  And let's have a firm policy, stated up front under the terms and conditions of membership, that all contributions must be solely the work of the submitter and not lifted from elsewhere, and that no links to illicit copies of copyright material (such as the one below) may be included.

** Phil.
--------
Another one that also seems to get lost on the mist!  :P

Khris Dhillon - Her's was one of the pioneering DIY British Indian Restaurant cooking cookbooks around  8)

Check out the recipes here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1652.0

Check out other downloads here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=5.0

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 10:53 AM »
let's have a firm policy, stated up front under the terms and conditions of membership, that all contributions must be solely the work of the submitter and not lifted from elsewhere

From the "Terms and Conditions of Membership" (aka "forum policy"):

"5.  You will not post any copyright material, unless you are the copyright owner or you have written consent from the copyright owner"

Alas, the only people/members that seem to have no problem with copyright material being stolen and posted elsewhere are those that don't really publish much in the way of recipes.

And those that think it's OK lack integrity, in my opinion, as the moral rights are (legally) assigned to the author.

Some members, hypocritically, have often labelled those that do such a thing as "scum"  ???

But we are now retreading old ground (once again)  ::)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Whenever I read a "melting base" recipe it makes me laugh

It makes me laugh (or, more precisely, cringe) because I cannot, for the life of me, relate to onions "melting"!  ???

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Some members, hypocritically, have often labelled those that do such a thing as "scum"  ???
The hypocrisy, CA, is in claiming the moral highground while having no compunction at all in deliberately linking to a post that itself links to known copyright material.  In the original poster's own words : " Curry Secret - EBook : Its back and available on the net for free [...] This is where the journey began a long time ago for many on the road to curry perfection, worth grabbing this whilst it is available for free".  Do you seek to deny that you knew you were indirectly linking to an illicit copy of Kris Dhillon's The Curry Secret ?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 11:21 AM »
In the original poster's own words : " Curry Secret - EBook : Its back and available on the net for free [...] This is where the journey began a long time ago for many on the road to curry perfection, worth grabbing this whilst it is available for free"

Please don't link me with "in the original poster's words" (which was not me!)  ::)

Nevertheless, this post is about a direct, verbatim, quoted recipe from RCR.

You know, I know, and George knows, that it is bound to create friction between members of both forums.

You (should know), and I know, and George (should) know, that quite a few members of this forum have, once again, gone over to RCR because of the recent "spats" on this forum (where George seems to have upset CBM with his continual negativity).

I don't know about you, but I would rather have CBM's input on this forum, rather than George's (and quite a few others here), any day! 

At least CBM is actually trying to help others to recreate BIR curries at home!  And has succeeded admirably in his endeavours! ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11 PM »
The recipe given in the original post is about as generic as it gets for a madras. Search the web you'll find dozens of similar ones. It thus has no value and the subsequent posts are the usual, tiresome handbags-at-dawn shite we could well do without.

Also, if I were of a cynical bent, I might surmise that the whole purpose of the post (being the posters first on this board) was designed purposely to foment such pointless argument.

Delete the whole thread.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20 PM »
I've been floating around on this forum and a couple of other ones and tried a few different recipes.

Eddy - Welcome to the forum. I must say I'm not critical of you for posting this Madras recipe, even if it is a bit 'controversial'. I say it makes a forum, or any other area of life, much better to have a few honest debates, rather than a bland environment where nobody ever disagrees (because dissent is ruthlessly stamped out). You'll already have seen that this forum is by far the largest and longest established, in its field, on the Internet. The more active members you have, the greater the chance that they won't all agree, all of the time. That's why there are a few arguments on this site, and it's one reason why the site is so good and free. I mean free from subscriptions and free from suppression of free speech.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 12:45 PM »
I'm all for allowing free debate George but when the only on-topic post in the thread is the first post and all subsequent ones are unrelated (i.e. to the topic of cooking a madras) it's time for some sensible moderation.

©2024 Curry Recipes