Author Topic: CA's Chicken Phal, Vindaloo, Madras and Curry (Illustrated!)  (Read 27903 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Phal, Vindaloo, Madras and Curry (Illustrated!)
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Nice one MrCurry!

I know that if this site had been running when I first started making BIR curries I would have had the same reaction as you. Be interesting to see how your next one turns out.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Welcome to cr0 MrCurry  8)

And glad you liked your curry!

But what better way to spend your day hey!  ;)

The good news is that you can freeze the base (together with any surplus tikka, rice and curry) and use it to make a much quicker curry next time!  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2008, 11:47 PM »
You will see that I have edited (i.e. reduced) the amount of chilli powder in the recipe (as an option).

The problem is that the piquancy of chilli powder varies so dramtically that it's a little hard to predetermine.   :-\

I've had (got) hot chilli powder that knocks your socks of if you use just 1 teaspoons of the stuff.  I've also had chilli powder where several teaspoons are needed for a similar piquancy.

It's probably advisable to start off cautiously and subsequently adjust to your own preference.  8)

How much did you use MrC?  And how did you find it?

Which of the "options" did you use?

Offline MrCurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2008, 07:32 PM »
CA,

I used two tablespoons of Schwartz Hot Chilli Powder, as well as four (small) red Birdseye fresh chillies, finely chopped. The result was a curry with a bit of 'bite'. However, next time, I'll add more. I also had a little difficulty in getting the base to 'brown'. Perhaps I didn't caramalise the onions enough at the start, I just allowed them to turn translucent. In addition, using organic chicken (as I will for everything now!) made a huge difference.

Only five days till my next curry attempt. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes