Author Topic: Chicken Madras - "Ashoka Style"  (Read 7010 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras - "Ashoka Style"
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:57 PM »
Since I know Panpot isn't likely to get back into Ashoka in the short term, I took a stab at a Chicken Madras using some of the ingredients and techniques for the Ashoka Bhuna, and apply them to a standard Madras curry.

Pics and observations to follow.

INGREDIENTS:

3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Ashoka garlic/ginger paste
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tsp Spice Mix (I used Bruce Edwards)
1 Tsp Chilli Powder
Pinch Methi
One serving of Marinated Chicken (uncooked)
2 Tbsp Pasatta
300 ml Ashoka Base Gravy
1 Tbsp Ashoka Bunjarra
1 tsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaf

METHOD

- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add the garlic/ginger paste and the tomato puree and stir around for 2 minutes
- Add the spice mix and chilli powder and stir/scrape/shake continuously until aromatic
- Add half a tablespoon of the bunjarra and continue to stir
- Add the chicken and pasatta, and mix to coat and seal the chicken
- Add the methi
- Add the base gravy a chefs spoon at a time, evaporating a little before adding the rest
- Add the lemon juice and the rest of the banjarra
- Simmer well to cook the chicken through
- Add the coriander and serve

--- Josh

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras - "Ashoka Style"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:00 AM »
1 - Ingredients ready to go
2 - Frying the garlic / ginger paste and puree
3 - Adding the spices
4 - Adding the uncooked chicken

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02 AM »
5 - Adding the base gravy
6 - Adding the bunjarra
7 - Coriander and final simmer
8 - Served!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04 AM »
9 - My dinner!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Conclusions and observations:

Some of the reasoning that went into how I approached the Madras. I used only a tsp of g/g paste, as there seems to be a lot in already (base, marinade, bunjarra...). I used a tsp of spice mix, although I noticed the Bhuna does not use any. Everything else was standard Madras stuff, other than the uncooked chicken.

I really think we are on to something with these recipes Panpot has sourced. This was a very, very good Madras. Some different flavours coming to the fore in this one. Quite a bit different from previous efforts. I've kept a little sauce in the fridge to test out tomorrow AM.

On the down side, even though I added no salt at the curry stage, it was a tad too salty for my taste. Maybe that's something Panpot can validate next time through the Ashoka. Also I don't think I'd do the uncooked chicken again. Adding cold chicken to sizzling spices seems to stop the 'rhythm' of cooking the curry. That said, the chicken was better than any of my precooked efforts, which I put down to the marinade more than the cooked/uncooked.

Really looking forward to seeing how some others rate the Ashoka stuff.

I've never been a big enough Bhuna fan to be able to tell how close it is to BIR or not.

Thanks to Panpot for getting us the recipes.

-- Josh

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52 AM »
Nice post Josh. I too think the base is too salty but I also agree this is significantly different base and finals and gets very very close to the 100% mark. Dare I say it, just need the last 1% taste.

I thinking a 2nd visit to the ashoka by Panpot would be tremendous and may clarify and add one or two other key points.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Cool nice post Josh!

Ive yet to get round to these recipes but i will in time a couple of Q's if i may.

do you think 1 tbsp bunjara adds much to this madras? would you use it again in this dish?

also why do you have tom puree and Pasatta? [Darth's madras uses Pasatta and i remember liking it]

i agree with the uncooked meat adding this will stop the rhythm dead.

your rice looks great whats your method?

Thanks UB.  :).

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Thanks for this Josh.

I just cooked it but added 1tbsp of G&G paste and I didn't use passata (haven't got any at the moment).

Really, really nice!  :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:21 PM »
UB,

do you think 1 tbsp bunjara adds much to this madras? would you use it again in this dish?

Its tough to say what the bunjara adds in and of itself, as the base used here is quite different to what I'm used to. Even the marinated chicken makes a noticeable difference in the total dish. Best way to answer this question might be to add some of the bunjara to a "known" base+madras recipe, like the BE or SnS. Would I use it again, for sure. I'm going to experiment further with this base and onion paste to get to some more definite conclusions.

also why do you have tom puree and Pasatta? [Darth's madras uses Pasatta and i remember liking it]

The addition of pasatta came about from a recent forum post (forget which one) that talked about BIR Madras being more tomatoey than what some of us are getting now. It was noted that puree only gets you so far, and that pasatta helped round out the tomato flavour. I tried it a couple of times and found it worked so stuck with it.

i agree with the uncooked meat adding this will stop the rhythm dead

Yes, no more uncooked, but that said, what is the "right" way to precook this marinated chicken? I would have thought that the oven method Panpot describes would dry out the chicken. A stir fry wouldn't make a ton of sense either given the makeup of this marinade. Maybe I will try the oven method and see how it turns out. One thing is for sure, the chicken in that Madras was fantastic.

your rice looks great whats your method?

The only rice method I use now is the original Bruce Edwards pilau. Not the updated/revised one. Simple and totally consistent. Here it is:

- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a saucepan
- Add 6 cloves, 3 cardamon, a few bits of cassia, and a bay leaf
- Add 1 cup of unwashed dry basmati
- Stir the rice in the hot oil until it just starts to brown
- Add 2 cups of water, and 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. Stir
- Once the water gets to boil, put a lid on it and stick it in the oven for 25 minutes while you make the curry.

Perfect everytime. I would swear this rice is common in a number of BIRs.

-- Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Yes, no more uncooked, but that said, what is the "right" way to precook this marinated chicken? I would have thought that the oven method Panpot describes would dry out the chicken. A stir fry wouldn't make a ton of sense either given the makeup of this marinade. Maybe I will try the oven method and see how it turns out. One thing is for sure, the chicken in that Madras was fantastic.

maybe, maranated then quick hot seal in frying pan then finished cooking in oven coverd for 20 mins or so.
might be worth a look.

rice noted.. thanks for the speedy reply.

©2024 Curry Recipes