Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 26492 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:18 AM »

To make tikka massala you need 1cheff spoon of vagtable oil,3tablespoon of almond powder,2tablespoon of coconut powder,1tablespoon of sugar,cheff spoon of massala sauce,then add small pieces of chicken tikka or meat of your choice,6 cheff spoon of base gravy mix togther then cook for 4-5mins on high gas mark to finish off your massala add 1 tablespoon of single cream.

Dipuraja's "Masala Sauce" can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4445.0

Dipuraja's "Base Gravy" can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4375.0

How to make tikka massala
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:40 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31 AM »
This certainly confirmed my suspicions of it being very similar to a Korma I watched being made in the IG. :)

I'm definitely having a stab at this one.

Did anyone else think his Tikka Chicken looked a little pale, perhaps he doesn't use as much colouring in reality compared the demo's he's given?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Just ordered the ingredients. Worth a go!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44 PM »
I just can't quite gel with this guy.

He always cooks everything from cold, which I think there is a video on another dish whereby he does the same.  His masala sauce is not a precooked ingredient either, just bungs everything into a bucket!

There also seemed to be a hell of a lot of sauce in the end dish.  When he added the rest of the sauce to the takeaway container, you couldn't see any chicken!  My Experience of CTM and Korma for that matter, is that it's quite a thick sauce that cling to the meat.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't give it a go, just that he has an odd way of doing thing ???  Which I can't foresee giving 'great' results!

Ray

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:33 PM »
yes it is very saucy, but I've seen these sort of takeaway places before cheap and cheerfull. I think he is doing this stuff with minimal cost.

I've not posted on here for a long time but I follow all you have to say avidly.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Ray,

I'm with you all the way. I have no disrespect for the guy but would categorise him as New Wave. Hence all the pastes and easy methodology. This is why his final dishes are always too thin, just as your typical take-away.

I am of mind that in real time, he would pre-heat his pan and cook the food properly. given the time constraints for YouTube, I think he tries to 'fit it in'. Or at least, I hope this is the case.

What I think we can take from his video's, is the essence of what is involved. How we choose to attempt his recipes, either by paste or passion (Oooh, I like that saying  8) ), is exactly that, our choice.

Hey CA, what about a Forum T-Shirt?

"I cook with passion, not paste. Curry Recipes Online".

Of course I want royalties on that mate. ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:22 AM by Axe »

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Round this neck of the woods we have a lot of T/As selling '4 curries for a tenner' including delivery, sometimes with a large bottle of coke thrown in. Seems to me that this guy could be playing that game as well and before you start thinking 'great, 4 curries/10 quid' remember the saying 'you get what you pay for'.

Regards
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:42 AM »
What I think we can take from his video's, is the essence of what is involved.

i am convinced that Dipuraja is only showing the bear basics. i bet that place changes beyond believe in service hrs.

i'm not sure what his take is but i feel he's trying to show as much as he can without getting mugged by his fellow peers.

ps sign me up for the No paste t shirt - i'll need a few particularly if they are white as that curry always seems to end up attaching itself.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:26 AM »
ps sign me up for the No paste t shirt - i'll need a few particularly if they are white as that curry always seems to end up attaching itself.

Jerry,

When they ask what colour I want the T-Shirts, i'll ask them if they do a 'Garam Masala'  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 11:42 AM »
i'd like to get a better handle on how this type of dish should be cooked.

if we believe that Dipuraja is not quite showing all then what sequence would we use to cook these ingredients.

Dipuraja's:   
1   oil
2   coconut powder
3   almond powder
4   sugar
5   masala sauce
6   chicken tikka
7   base
8   cream

given that the sauce is not cooked then for me the spices need cooking out. i'd then apply the "mix powder" method of cooking the dish (which is what i use as my std method).

mix powder method:
1   oil
2   masala sauce (taken as the mix powder)
3   chicken tikka
4   base
5   coconut powder
6   almond powder
7   sugar
8   cream

having watched malik i know this would be wrong (not BIR method) and should be more like Dipuraja's method.

malik's:
1   oil
2   sugar
3   coconut powder
4   masala sauce
5   chicken tikka
6   base
7   cream
no   almond powder

suprising but Dipies and maliks are pretty much the same on paper.

i feel i need to do more on this "sauce" method. i've just really started in trying it out through the ashoka rogan josh but i need to try something with coconut pwdr.

©2024 Curry Recipes