Author Topic: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.  (Read 67881 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Excellent video Chewy :D , im gonna make this with Dips base n spice mix.....mmm yummy , just cant lay my hands on any Kashmiri chilli powder easy today , Buxton,Derbyshire cut off by snow!!!!!!! any ideas on supermarkets???

Only asian ones and not always common in them :( ;D ;D

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 04:41 PM »
That was a great video
I could almost taste it 10/10 :)

Offline Yakmandoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Excellent video Chewy :D , im gonna make this with Dips base n spice mix.....mmm yummy , just cant lay my hands on any Kashmiri chilli powder easy today , Buxton,Derbyshire cut off by snow!!!!!!! any ideas on supermarkets???

Tell me about it ive been to worldwide and kashco in Manchester as far as i could tell they dont have it, and also PAKs foods in Stoke !!!!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58 PM »

Tell me about it ive been to worldwide and kashco in Manchester as far as i could tell they dont have it, and also PAKs foods in Stoke !!!!
I haven't seen it locally and i have three asian shops that stock an extensive range of different brands of spices.  However, i know if i go to East Ham i can get this.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03 PM »
i searched 3 or 4 cash & carry's (while visiting near  blackburn ) for kashmiri powder, not one place had it!
only to  find out days later that it
mostly comes in a box ::) ;D

Hope you didnt do what i did and Only looked for plastic packets without asking  ;)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 06:11 PM »
i searched 3 or 4 cash & carry's (while visiting near  blackburn ) for kashmiri powder, not one place had it!
only to  find out days later that it
mostly comes in a box ::) ;D

Hope you didnt do what i did and Only looked for plastic packets without asking  ;)

Always good to ask as most asian stores are very obliging.  I think MDH brand comes in  a box like deggi mirch whereas i have seen two or three brands of it in the normal type of packaging ;)

Offline Yakmandoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Searching for Kashmiri chilli powder on the net and found this :-
http://www.everestspices.com/masalas/kashmiri-chilli-powder
so does this mean its just normal Pimenton that is easy to get in any super market ?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Searching for Kashmiri chilli powder on the net and found this :-
http://www.everestspices.com/masalas/kashmiri-chilli-powder
so does this mean its just normal Pimenton that is easy to get in any super market ?

Most definitely not :o.  Try a taste test of the ordinary finger chilli, birds eye chilli and then a naga chilli and experience a little of the huge differences in taste and heat that exist in the simple term "chilli" ;D ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Thanks for the all the good comments guys. ;D

Sorry Yakmandoo

Seems like you've been all over the place, and in this weather too, that's dedication.
All the big Indian supermarkets around here stock MDH boxed products, even ASDA
started selling MDH, but haven't seen Kashmiri Mirch yet.

But any chilli powder will do mate, just don't use as much, unless you like it fiery.

cheers Chewy

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 08:46 AM »
@Chewy

As always - superb video and thank you for sharing, thanks to your original Madras sauce recipe that pretty much filled in all the gaps for me. This one should be the icing on the cake for those that missed the original.

Nice tip with the splatter guard - had seen those things before but had no idea what they were for and paid them no interest in the past!

@Ray

Have always thought some curry's had a hint on aniseed or fennel or something of that nature. Since 976bar posted his Bhuna recipe have been introducing a whole star anise during the initial cooking phase and then fishing it out. Will definitely try your suggestion of grinding half of one up!

Thanks

©2024 Curry Recipes