Author Topic: CA's Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 71404 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I made this last night apart from the potato and albeit I think it needs less than 2 teaspoons of sugar (I found it a bit sweet), it was absolutely fantastic!!!

Well done Cory and thanks for the recipe :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I had another go at CA's Chicken Vindaloo today and just modified the ingredients slightly to suit my own taste.

I used 0.5ml black pepper instead of 0.25. I used 20ml of vinegar instead of 15ml and I only used 1 tsp sugar as I found it too sweet before. I also used one whole dried chilli soaked in water for 20 minutes instead of a fresh one which gave it a lot more heat.

I also reduced the amount of oil from 75ml to 50ml.

The Vindaloo was absolutely marvelous, once again many thanks for the recipe CA :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I also used one whole dried chilli soaked in water for 20 minutes instead of a fresh one which gave it a lot more heat.

nice idea and will try out myself.

ps u don't need to soak in water. we've been having QC problems with our ("my wife's") mex chilli recently and sorted by me adding crushed red chilli straight from the bag to my bowl. works a treat - not thought of doing same for curry - many thanks. i will add a towards end of frying stage.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Quote from: 976bar
The Vindaloo was absolutely marvelous, once again many thanks for the recipe CA :)

Looks good 976bar...and nicely presented.  Thanks for trying it and reporting back with photos  8)

Quote from: 976bar
I also used one whole dried chilli soaked in water for 20 minutes instead of a fresh one which gave it a lot more heat

Good idea 976bar, I can see that soaking the whole dried chilli first would make it nice and soft..presumably this is why you do it?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Thanks CA, and yes I soak the chilli first otherwise they can be a bit chewy if not cooked for a long time and since it only took around 8 minutes to cook the vindaloo, in my opinion the chilli needed softening first :)

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 05:42 AM »
This is tonight's chicken vindaloo.

I like more potatoes in mine, and (to cheat) I will use half of a tine of tinned potatoes.

Still some left over for breakfast (and maybe for elevenses!)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Looking great pforkes... hope your capacity for heat hasn't reduced by living in Vegas!!! Did you have any brave souls help you out with that?

You never got back to me with a Vegas recommendation... c'mon I'm starving for real BIR over here...

Cheers,
Josh

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Hi All

First and foremost, thank you CA for posting your excellent recipes and sharing them. Plus thanks for this fantastic website for existing.

Have made your Vindaloo a couple of times now and produced consistently excellent results.

Followed your recipe exactly apart from taking the advice of other posters and halved the sugar.

Have not tried your spiced oil yet with it either, but it still produces an absolutely fantastic Vindaloo regardless.

Also, I believe that you do not use pre-cooked chicken with your recipe? - I did, and added it around 5 minutes before then end.

Anyway, here is a picture of the results:

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Thanks for trying the recipe and posting your results pforkes and solarsplace

Glad to hear that it was to your liking solarsplace  8)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 09:03 PM »
made this curry tonight. was a heck of a lot of work but was excellent. i guess i now have spice oil and masala and a spice mix for other curries though. I tried it with pork instead of chicken was very good though obviously not traditional.

took me about 2 hours in total!!

took some pics will post up tomorrow when i have some more time.

thx cory ander

©2024 Curry Recipes