Author Topic: CA's Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 71364 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13 PM »
As for the potato, legend has it that it is purely a BIR invention, the chef adding a half a boiled potato to the vindaloo so the waiter can tell the very hot curry when serving more than one dish at a time.

Cheers
CoR
Vin - vinegar or red wine vinegar
aloo - potato [Hindi]
originally Portuguese dish with pork now transformed into a curry mostly chicken/lamb

also comes with is own song
England Fans sing Vindaloo in Tel Aviv

who said patriotism was dead?

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 02:23 PM »

aloo - potato [Hindi]
originally Portuguese dish with pork now transformed into a curry mostly chicken/lamb

I have read that it could be a mistake in translation from Portuguese to Hindi because Garlic in Portuguese is alho, therefore the traditional dish is Vinegar & Garlic when translated properly.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 03:55 PM »

aloo - potato [Hindi]

I have read that it could be a mistake in translation from Portuguese to Hindi because Garlic in Portuguese is alho, therefore the traditional dish is Vinegar & Garlic when translated properly.

I heard that too!

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 05:34 PM »
I made this one last night and had the leftovers for lunch today and very nice it was too. Thanks CA  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 07:08 AM »
CA,

wow!

got to be the most memorable curry i've cooked to date. not had vindaloo for yonk's and it did not disappoint.

the red colour says madras to me but it ain't madras for sure. the relative large amount of spice worked well which was a surprise. i did not add the sugar - everything else to spec.

i found i needed water during the cooking but had none with me but it turned out spot on all the same (base was not thin enough to deal with the amount of spice - i added the puree straight out of the tin - not the 5:1 dilute). the chilli smoke literally got up my nose - would be more carefull next time.

i will make again for sure (sticky is stored in my KD1 book). i might reduce the tandoori powder (which i like normally) a tad and the tom puree possibly.

real brill dish - many thanks for opening up a new leg of my cooking.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Glad you liked it Jerry  8)

I find this rather puzzling though:
i found i needed water during the cooking.....but had none with me
  :-\

Where an earth were you then?!  :o

but it turned out spot on all the same (base was not thin enough to deal with the amount of spice

Interesting, did you use my base (which is very thin) or another one (which is fine by me, just might explain why you say there wasn't enough water in it)?

i added the puree straight out of the tin - not the 5:1 dilute

Bang goes another 75ml of water then.... :P

i might reduce the tandoori powder (which i like normally) a tad

There really aint much there to start with Jerry? Optional anyway

and the tom puree possibly

Fess up, Jerry, you just can't resist playing!  :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 07:12 AM »
CA,

liked it that much i'm going to make again tonight.

i cook in the garage. i usually get the thinness right on the 1st curry i cook by taking a jug of water with me (i'd done this the night before - it was just the extra powder and no water in the tom puree that almost caught me out - it's only a caution for anyone else making - make sure the base is thin enough or as u say use the extra 75ml in the tom puree and it will be fine).

yes still tinkering - i can't decide on tom puree watered (which i've done for a while) or straight out of tin. it's real strange for me as i know the water has a big part to play in the frying but i think out of a tin gets the same taste with less oil.

real good taste to it though - lip burning yes but a defo fav of mine.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 01:47 PM »
CA, I want to give this a try!  I assume your measures are LEVEL measuring spoons, i.e tps=5ml, tbs=15ml?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29 PM »
CA, I want to give this a try!  I assume your measures are LEVEL measuring spoons, i.e tps=5ml, tbs=15ml?

Yes, that's it ADB

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Thank for trying it and reporting back with photo  8)

Just to clarify, when you say "everything else to spec." do you mean that you used:

- my spiced oil?
- my curry base?
- my curry masala?
- my tandoori masala?

I don't mind if the answer is "no" to any, or all, of these...I just want to put your assessment into the correct context for the benefit of others who might also wish to try it  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes