Author Topic: How to Make a Staff Curry  (Read 81784 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Staff Curry
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 07:28 PM »
ake it with chicken wings and it's close to perfect.
The chicken wings would definitely give extra body, through the jelly that they will exude -- what are your thoughts on using chicken wings in mainstream BIR dishes ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:54 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I have no idea about mainstream BIR, probably not the taste people are looking for with the wings. A lot of people don't like them or don't like having to get their hands dirty. It's still my most requested dish...although I tweak it a bit in terms of chillis.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18 PM »
I have no idea about mainstream BIR, probably not the taste people are looking for with the wings. A lot of people don't like them or don't like having to get their hands dirty.
Yes, I wasn't so much concerned about that don't like chicken wings (more fool them) but rather, for those of us that do like chicken wings, would a dish such as Chicken Madras work well with chicken wings rather than breast ?

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I think this needs to be experimented on IMMEDIATELY. The jelly in the wings would add a whole different flavour, and there might be a danger that they contribute extra liquid (would it dissolve into the gravy, or just lump?). But even if it did, could that be avoided by using less / different liquid / gravy in the first place? And, I suppose further, what about drumsticks?

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Yes I used thighs not wings - when it was cold the sauce was thick with gelatin, most likely with wings it would be more so.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2017, 11:52 PM »
I always recall haldi saying that the takeaways he liked had a set jelly in them when cold. I think we put it down to using ghee at the time but I wonder if the takeaway was actually using chicken pieces in the base?

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2017, 09:41 PM »
made this a few times but with an extra onion and boneless, skinless chicken thighs....Superb.
The only drawback is the hour long process of almost constant stirring and adding a drop or so of water to convert the onions to complete mush.
I know a pressure cooker would speed the process up considerably. Might even consider the investment  :o :o
All in all, with that said,  I would still highly recommend this curry. No bir experience necessary  ;)

Regards

Mick

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Hi Ive made this many times but this is an equally if not better version. It uses chicken thigh (ideally with bone in), I made it for 30 last week and it went down a storm. I made a hotter version for the heat heads. It doesnt really have any water added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9po0Gd7Rio

Ed

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Thanks Edwin. I

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile