Author Topic: A new category perhaps?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
A new category perhaps?
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:35 AM »
As most of the regulars here know I have a preference for the more traditional Indian food and that is where I post most of my recipes. I did play around with BIR with the likes of Pat Chapman and Kris Dhillon in the long past days of monochrome, gaslight and Vesta boil-in-the-bag, but the results were not so pleasing.
So the choices available at that time were invariably BIR or Traditional, but a new category of Indian restaurant cooking has come very much to the fore in recent years and that is Contemporary.
Contemporary Indian is the type of food served up in the restaurants of Atul Kochar, Vivek Singh and others. It uses the Indian art of spicing with non traditional local ingredients and preparation.
My wife and I really love our traditional home cooked curries and we love eating Contemporary Indian Cuisine, but I doubt I would attempt a contemporary dinner party at home. Too much fuss for me, far too many rare and obscure ingredients and I would suggest that the time required to prep and cook several dishes in that category could prove daunting.

T63

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A new category perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Yo, Tempest, wht are the actual recipes lke, any examples? It sounds- interesting! Although I think I see what you are getting at- slightly "radical", perhaps?

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Yo, Tempest, wht are the actual recipes lke, any examples? It sounds- interesting! Although I think I see what you are getting at- slightly "radical", perhaps?
You will find some of Vivek Singhs recipes online at http://www.viveksingh.co.uk/recipes/
These are some of the easier recipes, but if you want to see some of the more convoluted recipes you need to peek inside the Benares cookbook. The menu for Benares can be found at https://www.benaresrestaurant.com/menus/a-la-carte/

T63

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:22 PM »
I will be cooking Beef Bhuna Bengali Style from Vivek Singh this week only I am using ox cheek so need to look at the cooking times as it will take substantially longer. Am also doing his Old Delhi Butter Chicken amongst others for a Sunday dinner with the kids.
I have a glut of runner beans off the allotment so will be doing something with them; possibly a hybrid of aubergine and okra that i devised from two recipes, the runner beans will replace the okra. Prawn biryani and a vegetable kitchri will also likely materialise..

T63

Offline gansant

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Funny but we had a great curry house here called Cafe Guru and when they started it was kind of curry fusion. Starters often had things like kiwi fruit and mains had a very different twist with ingredients you don't often see. We need more of this on here as I've moved right off BIR as the variation in dishes didn't always come through.

Offline gansant

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:40 PM »
Had a look on that chefs site and I'm trying out the halibut recipe at the top with tilapia. Will return with results. Thanks for link.

Offline gansant

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:21 PM »
The fish curry is mental and like nothing I've cooked before. Different taste but still asian. The style is more a la carte rather than a big pile it high as the flavours are pretty intense so I would probably do it as a starter. Got to try more of his stuff.

©2024 Curry Recipes