Author Topic: Restaurant Style Vindaloo spices...questions to those who have audited a kitchen  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Of course.  By asking a polite question concerning one of his posts rather than dismissing his ideas out of hand.
** Phil.

I asked if there was a base or not, because OC seemed to contradict himself :)  I don't see that as a 'negative response'. 

littlechilie

Sigh.  Three such negative response to an interesting message from a new member.  Will this forum never learn ?
** Phil.

Hi Peripatetic Phil, I'm sorry to be harsh. Unfortunately from your post and onwards you have completely derailed the OP thread! Why did you just not give him/her a chance to respond? I'm sure they can take the sarcasm and reasonable remarks, It would be appreciated if admin could remove all off topic posts made after George's post.Then hopefully the Op can respond as they see fit..And we can return to the topic.
LC.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
rather than dismissing his ideas out of hand.

The OP dismissed most of this forum out of hand when he/she said it throws the content out of the window, Why do you ignore that but, instead, lay into anyone who dares to challenge the OP's comment? If he/she can answer my earlier questions, then I may be prepared to take the observations more seriously. littlechillie is right.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
1. Have any of you come across Deggi Mirch or Meat Masala in your restaurant style curries?
2. I remember reading about seasoned oils...what i saw was Canola Oil and the chef mentioned sometimes using an oil seasoned with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cardamon as an option?
3. Have you seen onions precooked in only only oil and turmeric to give color?
4. Versus using coconut milk, the chef recommended using heavy cream and desiccated coconut (sweetened) to make the sauce sweeter...have you heard of this before?

There's nothing new there fstr n u. It's typical of North American style Indian restaurant cooking but not typical of British Indian restaurant cooking. The method is closer to an "authentic" vindaloo with shortcuts for the restaurant to get things cooked quickly. I use deggi as my main chilli spice and I have seen all sorts of prerepared onion variations, fried with added turmeric being just one. Meat masala could be any one of a plethora of generic spice mixes, otherwise known as curry powder. A typical one used over here is MDH kitchen king.

Similarly with the double cream (heavy cream) with sweetened, desiccated coconut it's just one more variation on adding some sort of cream with some sort of coconut flavouring. I wouldn't personally use desiccated coconut because I don't like the texture it leaves even after blending but some might call that a feature and pay good money for it. Each to their own.

As far as base thickness goes we moved away from thick bases years ago on this forum and thin soup like bases (BIR style) are the norm now.

Seasoned oil - take your pick there are several methods on the forum and rapeseed oil (canola oil) is the cheapest high smoke-point oil so gets used quite ubiquitously. Flavouring with cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom (and possibly cloves) is a basic seasoned oil and would occur "naturally" in a home cooked Indian meal where the curry would be started with this combination.

All interesting observations but they really just bring out the differences between the North American way of doing things and the BIR way which is what this forum is more focused on.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It seems to have been George that started it this time. Hardly surprising, yet quietly customary. Not sure about no base though.

©2024 Curry Recipes