Author Topic: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo  (Read 51562 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 08:18 AM »
This confirms the answers i got last night, soon as my Kashniri Masala arrives next week i`m going to make a batch & see how close it is.You didn't mention the potato, i take it all take-aways still put one in ? The take-away`s i use still do.
A note on the chicken i think they use bare minimum Turmeric when cooking the Chicken ( just to colour ).
I also got the impresion when i ate the potato  that they use potatoes in the gravy wether its in the first stage or second i don't know,what do you think CurryKing ?
& one of the waiter`s did say it is difficult to duplicate the same taste if only cooking for one, but i told him i make a batch for 10 curries, he thought we should be able to get "the taste". Again he said use fresh only when cooking at home as he does.
He also said method is very important & to keep a good eye on your cooking, Onions should only be fried till they are turning golden no longer.They seen quite proud of there cooking abilities & were open to show me wear I'm going wrong, going to use this to my advantage.
I`ll give the recipe a go & if its not close enough i`ll take in the revised version & ask again were i`m going wrong, they may get to the point that they`ll usher me to the kitchen & get a little lession from the master !!

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I also got the impresion when i ate the potato? that they use potatoes in the gravy wether its in the first stage or second i don't know,what do you think ?
& one of the waiter`s did say it is difficult to duplicate the same taste if only cooking for one, but i told him i make a batch for 10 curries, he thought we should be able to get "the taste". Again he said use fresh only when cooking at home as he does.
He also said method is very important & to keep a good eye on your cooking, Onions should only be fried till they are turning golden no longer.
The Bengal Cuisine Curry Gravy recipe I got, uses potato (that's got the Kashmiri Masala in too)
see:-

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=118.0

This frying the onion til golden intrigues me though.
If you are an indian chef using a wacking great pot (60cm diameter) with a sack and a half of onions in, how on earth could you stir the onions as they cooked.
I suppose you would have a litres of oil in.
It might be easier than it appears.
I really wish I could see that.
I hope you do.
You may well be on the right tracks!
You seem on good terms with them.
You've got to go in again Darth.
Do not give in to the dark side.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I`m wondering if they do i the authentic way to a point & boil in the first batch then fry in the second.I have done this & this is were i get my best take-away clones my young apprentice.Anyone else done this ??

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 04:20 PM »
I`m wondering if they do i the authentic way to a point & boil in the first batch then fry in the second.I have done this & this is were i get my best take-away clones my young apprentice.Anyone else done this ??

Most times I have to fry onions at the start of a curry, then I add the curry gravy.
Or do you mean fry the onions in the curry gravy for a while, then add water and boil.
There are recipes like that, by Pat Chapman.
It's the kind of thing that you can go round in circles on.
If you can get in to see it it would be brilliant.
The curry gravy demos I have seen all boiled the onions.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Sometimes i fry 1 onion some ginger & garlic,then add to already pureed gravy mix, then puree again so you get the sweeter taste from the second frying phase, this method tend to produce my most successful Vindaloo/Tindaloo clones amongst other things.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Sometimes i fry 1 onion some ginger & garlic,then add to already pureed gravy mix, then puree again so you get the sweeter taste from the second frying phase, this method tend to produce my most successful Vindaloo/Tindaloo clones amongst other things.
Double pureed?
The fried onions are definitely sweeter.
Good idea.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 04:55 PM »
It`s something i`ve been doing for a long time now. I need to think of my next approach when i go in perhaps we need to make a thread with all the answers to our questions we`ve asked so far &  see if we come up with the old common denominator ect....
Like the ingredients of Curry King`s is exactly the same as what i was told lastnight & we are mile appart but not many people seem interested in my threads, perhaps i need to go solo, if anyone`s going to sweet talk into the kitchen its a good bet Darthy will be one of them " join me.. it`s the only way "(DarthVader 1980).

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 05:17 PM »
Like the ingredients of Curry King`s is exactly the same as what i was told lastnight

Im sure what I was told is the real deal, im fairly confident now that my currys do have a "taste" but its more subtle than a restaurant curry.  I made a chili massala last night, i made it, had a few beers, heated it up later in the microwave and to me it was spot on!!  8)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I have to agree with you Curry King AS I'm down here in Cornwall & I'm sure your miles away from me & there is no conspiracy between the chefs  ;)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Im in the south near Brighton and yeah I don't think theres a conspiracy, its just doesn't seem possible that something could have been kept secret for years on end by so many people.

©2024 Curry Recipes